AR model ID please

Goldjazz

OK. See them now. My guess is AR-3.

The grille cloth is not original but I'm assuming the badge is. That thick frame suggests the 3. I'm looking at a pair of 2a's here and the frame is comparitively thinner. They "could" even be 1 or 1W but those are pretty rare.

Take a look at early AR models here. You'll see what I ,ean about the width of the frame but either Tom or Roy have more expertise in this area  http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/acoustic_research/original_models_1954-1974/original_models_pictures/

If they're something you saw for sale it would be worth following up. Ask if there are labels on the back (with model #) or if the seller will pull the grilles off and take a pic. 

As stated in your other audio forum, you will need more than one misplaced AR badge to confirm that these are indeed an AR speaker model at all. The confounding thing is not being able to view their entire cabinet height, so the relative scale in these pics is deceiving. But assuming that they are AR's, I'm inclined to see something different than what JKent is seeing, and my thought would be to guess they are some model from the AR-4 series.

Ah! I think ra.ra may be right. The relative width of the frame "looks" bigger on the 4 series because the cabinet is smaller. Here's a 4x.

Best place to start would be to at least get the dimensions.

edit: I just found ra.ra's post on AK. Listen to him.

grill on.jpg

2 hours ago, JKent said:

The relative width of the frame "looks" bigger on the 4 series because the cabinet is smaller.

Yeah, my WAG is simply based on proportions of frame width to cabinet width. Not much to go on with the OP's pics, but we definitely gotta find a source for more of that grille cloth! :lol: 

Really nice looking 4x's, Kent.