Grille peg removal question

DavidR

Is that peg from a AR9?  Parts Express sells the almost exact replacement ones. Just grab it with pliers and rip it out.

on the other hand you could try probing around the insert with a needle and maybe inject a small amount of MEK with a hypo. And try to nudge it out with a claw hammer. 

Larry's right - the  PE replacement fits perfectly.

Grip the peg as close to the surface as possible with a large set of pliers, and try to rotate/wiggle it until it begins to loosen, and then you can pull it right out. 

If you should want to remove the sockets from the grille panel, just fit a large drill bit tightly into the hole, and apply a tiny bit of torque - it will easily loosen & come out.

I've always had a preference for the speaker to carry the socket part of the peg, with the male plug on the grille panel - I've seen both approaches used on the AR-9.

Thanks for the replies.

I bought the PE replacements but you never know if you'll ever need a spare.

I'm able to get a thin putty knife under the lip but it does budge upward much. Pliers feels like it will break the ball from the base. No sockets on the grille panels, just wood frames with a hole.

I'm definitely going to reverse the peg and sockets.