Allison one woofers

petteyr

Greetings,  

I understand that the later oem replacement woofers for Allison One woofers were made by Eminence for Allison. 

How different are these from the originals? Does anyone have photos of them or Thiele/Small parameters?

I see on ebay someone is selling Allison One speakers. ..too cheap, don't look like mine.

14 minutes ago, petteyr said:

Greetings,  

I understand that the later oem replacement woofers for Allison One woofers were made by Eminence for Allison. 

How different are these from the originals? Does anyone have photos of them or Thiele/Small parameters?

I see on ebay someone is selling Allison One speakers. ..too cheap, don't look like mine.

I have one of those “eminence” woofers NOS. that I bought in 2000. Actually, I bought 2 at the time. One went away on EBay inside one of the A1 speakers sold off years ago. I should sell this one soon before the surround deteriorates.

At that time they were approved by RA in the reincarnated A1s but I found out they don’t mix well (One Eminence, one original) in the same cabinet. I was using a Subwoofer with an 80hz. Crossover, so the difference under those conditions was not a problem.

Bill

Are there visual difference between the Eminence replacement and an original?

Would you have a photo of the replacement Eminence woofer?

Just want to be sure if I find a woofer, I can identify the Eminence version. 

Per your experience with these, we should steer clear of these for replacements in our A1, A3, A9, CD9s?

Are the T/S parameters the same on the Eminence version as the original OEM Allisons?

31 minutes ago, petteyr said:

Per your experience with these, we should steer clear of these for replacements in our A1, A3, A9, CD9s?

Are the T/S parameters the same on the Eminence version as the original OEM Allisons?

The hour is late, but I have plenty of pictures.....give me a couple of days, and I'll put them up! The Eminence has a much larger dust cap and cone that distinguish it from the originals.

I think they would be fine for All except in the A1's they need to go in as a matched pair. Additionally, the gaskets need to be doubled up when you put 2 in the old A1 cabinets otherwise, the magnets bang into each other, as they were intended for the newer generation A1. circa 2002.

Bill

On 7/18/2019 at 11:14 PM, petteyr said:

rIC-24.thumb.jpg.fa02ea0a9930a092eff9971797a2fa23.jpgFrom top to bottom: This composite pic. shows 3way tweeter, midrange and woofers offered by Allison around 2001 or so, with the Eminence woofer pictured on the bottom. The non ribbed cone and and large dust cover are very distinguishable from the originals.

I found 2 pairs of what the seller is calling Allison One woofers.

They look nothing like my original Allisons.

No markings what so ever. 

The od of the magnets are 120mm.

The dust covers are 85mm.

Smooth cones.

4 ohm .

Seller claims they where pulled from an early vintage Allison One. Pre 80s, as tweeters and midranges had the side leads to be used with the front panel posts.

The spiders are huge compared to my oem Allisons.

I am thinking these are some Chinese knock offs.

I know these observations are somewhat subjective. 

Maybe I could find a local shop that can test them and get the TS parameters. 

2019-07-20 12.00.40.jpg

2019-07-20 11.59.40.jpg

2019-07-20 11.58.39.jpg

3 hours ago, petteyr said:

I found 2 pairs of what the seller is calling Allison One woofers.

They look nothing like my original Allisons.

No markings what so ever. 

The od of the magnets are 120mm.

The dust covers are 85mm.

Smooth cones.

4 ohm .

Seller claims they where pulled from an early vintage Allison One. Pre 80s, as tweeters and midranges had the side leads to be used with the front panel posts.

The spiders are huge compared to my oem Allisons.

I am thinking these are some Chinese knock offs.

I know these observations are somewhat subjective. 

Maybe I could find a local shop that can test them and get the TS parameters. 

2019-07-20 12.00.40.jpg

2019-07-20 11.59.40.jpg

2019-07-20 11.58.39.jpg

I have seen 10 inch 4ohm woofs that looked like these also come from Allison. I bought 1, guessing around 1994. Only difference from your pictures was that the cone had a protective coating painted on it. It sounded fine, mixed in one cabinet with an original, unlike the eminence. 

Those last years of Allison saw many changes as they were going out of business, transitioning to Stanford Acoustics among other things, that I know only bits and pieces of.

Outsourcing woofers was definitely one of those things, so it’s very possible the woofers you show, though not originals may very well have once shipped from the company.

Bill