WANTED/IDENTIFY - Speaker Cable 1960's Astor Audiophonic

Hi there,

I am looking to replace the male end of this speaker cable. I have had both male and female ends tested and it appears that there is a short circuiting issue with the male end. It is an amp to speaker cable from an early 1960’s Astor Audiophinic Turntable/radio. 

1237304520_ScreenShot2018-08-01at9_23_15am.png.94ddf04726d1fb2023f308dd94c6446a.png

I have contacted/visited a number of the classic electronics stores in my local area, however the one guy who had a male end of this cable could not identify the name of the cable and was reluctant to sell it to me because they don’t come round often. 

Please help!

Sean. 

Melbourne, Australia

5 minutes ago, Seanchristophermarshall said:

however the one guy who had a male end of this cable could not identify the name of the cable and was reluctant to sell it to me because they don’t come round often. 

That's odd...  Sure, it might be the last connector in existence for sale, but you might be the last guy in existence that needs one  ?

Good luck with your search!

In these older cables, due to a absence of serviceable replacements I have typically been moved to repair the existing items. Can your plug covers be successfully opened to allow repair? There does not appear to be any seams in this picture but it would be odd that a fully molded plug would short internally..

Fortunately, your problem is a disconnected, and not shorted, wire.  Chances are highest that the wire is broken where it enters the molded plug. If so, you could try opening the wire's insulated  covering there and look for a break. It may also be necessary to cut part of the molded plug as well, for better access.

The lesser possibility is that the wire has broken at the tip of the metal pin, especially if it is soldered.  Heating and re-flowing the solder ~may~ reconnect things then.

To  maximize the possibility of success, my suggestion is, that unless you are very skilled at soldering, to take your cable to a electronic repair facility and get their thoughts on fixing it. Be prepared for the likelihood that they will have to do the above work and alter the appearance of the plug.

• 2 years later...

Following up as I have just purchased an 1960s Astor Audiophonic and have the same issue so looking for a replacement cable as one of them isn't working.

If anyone has any recommendations as to where I can purchase this cable it would be amazing!!

On 8/1/2018 at 7:24 AM, Seanchristophermarshall said:

Hi there,

I am looking to replace the male end of this speaker cable. I have had both male and female ends tested and it appears that there is a short circuiting issue with the male end. It is an amp to speaker cable from an early 1960’s Astor Audiophinic Turntable/radio. 

1237304520_ScreenShot2018-08-01at9_23_15am.png.94ddf04726d1fb2023f308dd94c6446a.png

I have contacted/visited a number of the classic electronics stores in my local area, however the one guy who had a male end of this cable could not identify the name of the cable and was reluctant to sell it to me because they don’t come round often. 

Please help!

Sean. 

Melbourne, Australia