I have a set of AR-4XA speakers never been touched

littlechum

Well Martin was exactly right, the speakers aren't AR 4xa speakers.  I have no idea who changed them, but I pulled one and it says "Realistic"  on the speaker.  How embarrassing.  I have no idea how that happened. So now I guess it is time to locate real AR 4 replacement speakers. I'm gonna check the tweeters too! My apology to Martin.

Well I hadn't really looked at AR speakers on line, but now I am beginning to wonder about the speakers myself. Martin explained that they didn't look to be AR speakers. I am beginning to believe he is right....I started looking tonite after he said that and what I find is...something is strange.  I don't see any AR's with tweeter cones in the woofers.  But when I say I have never touched these speakers, I am being truthful.  I am gonna call AR and ask them.  Then if they say they haven't done any with tweeter cones, I am gonna take a screwdriver to them and see if there are numbers on the speakers or names of the company that made them.  My problem is that they have been in my possession since I bought them at the BX in '77.. Nobody has had them but me.  If I am wrong I won't be selling them....or anything else. I will be angry tho'.....

Those woofers are younger than your 4axs and are probably cheap, Taiwanese replacement woofers--not necessarily bad, just not AR and definitely not what should be in there.  I have never seen an AR woofer with a whizzer cone. 

If you think anyone at whatever is left of AR will have any idea of what you're talking about, think again. AR as we knew it ceased to exist a long time ago.

1 hour ago, littlechum said:

Well Martin was exactly right, the speakers aren't AR 4xa speakers.  I have no idea who changed them, but I pulled one and it says "Realistic"  on the speaker.  How embarrassing.  I have no idea how that happened. So now I guess it is time to locate real AR 4 replacement speakers. I'm gonna check the tweeters too! My apology to Martin.

If the cabinets are in good condition, and the crossovers are unmolested, these should still have some value for restoration.

On 7/7/2018 at 9:35 PM, littlechum said:

No apology needed--just trying to help out

Archived