NHT as an AR or classic "New England Sound" substitute?

musiclover22

After years of using British loudspeakers, I have recently become interested again in classic loudspeakers of the U.S. "east coast" variety. I recently bought an NHT Super One 2.1 to use as a "second" loudspeaker. It just blew me away. Despite its small size and apparently limited bass output, its acoustic suspension woofer just smokes my ported B and Ws in the bass. NHT may well be the only existing speaker company left in the AR and New England tradition. Despite its California location, NHT was founded by a former AR engineer, Ken Kantor. I believe all of their speakers use acoustic suspension. My Super One has a very flat frequency response and is very accurate, which are AR hallmarks. Their C3 looks a lot to me like a modern day AR 2ax (or maybe 3a). I know the primary interest in this forum is classic loudspeakers and NHT (founded in the 1980s) is probably too new to qualify. However, I am just wondering how many people out there know about and support perhaps the only current speaker company that is keeping the AR tradition alive. 

Welcome musiclover

I think many of us have or at least know about KK's NHT speakers. He is no longer with the company and I haven't heard the newest ones but I have 2 pair of the diminutive Super Zeroes and they are excellent. There has also been some discussion of the NHT line in the thread "How would you achieve that AR sound modern components?"

-Kent

I just listened to a pair of NHT 1.3 at my friend's house. They have very realistic, pristine mids and highs when auditioned on  stands, away from the walls and directly toward you about 8 ft away. The bass was limited yet very clean and well defined too. I don't have AR speakers with 6.5" woofer and 1" tweeter for comparison. Therefore, I am wondering if the AR bookshelf speakers( designed mostly for use against the wall or 2 pi placement) will sound if placed well into the room? 

Archived