HELP! Has anyone figured out KLH tweeters?

JKent

I need to replace a dead tweeter in a KLH Model Twelve and I'm wondering which other KLH tweets might be compatible, since they all seem to "look" virtually the same.

To add to my confusion, I'm certain the Fives and Twelves used exactly the same drivers but the Twelves were in bigger cabinets. BUT, an old KLH ad says the 12 has a 1-3/4" tweeter while the same ad says the 5 has a 1-5/8" tweeter. I read somewhere that KLH changed the way they measured cone size, but this seems odd. That same ad said the 17 used a 1-3/4" tweeter and the 6 used a 1-5/8" tweet.

Over on AK one of our CSP members wrote "The Models Six, Seventeen, Twenty and Thirty all use the same tweeter. The Models Five, Twelve and Twenty-Three use a tweeter that looks virtually identical and can be used in the other group - all are 4 ohm - but they have different voicing."

So I'm assuming I can use a tweeter from a 5, 12 or 23. Not so sure about any others.

HELP!

Kent

Kent,

I can't help you one bit on matters of KLH. You'll have to wait for others to chime in.

But in my cynical-mood Monday, I can't wait to see the results of your double-blind group listening test to see how many people could reliably, repeatedly, and accurately distinguish between the two tweeters.

Be sure to let me know.

Steve F.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On ‎29‎/‎12‎/‎2013 at 11:33 AM, JKent said:

I need to replace a dead tweeter in a KLH Model Twelve and I'm wondering which other KLH tweets might be compatible, since they all seem to "look" virtually the same.

To add to my confusion, I'm certain the Fives and Twelves used exactly the same drivers but the Twelves were in bigger cabinets. BUT, an old KLH ad says the 12 has a 1-3/4" tweeter while the same ad says the 5 has a 1-5/8" tweeter. I read somewhere that KLH changed the way they measured cone size, but this seems odd. That same ad said the 17 used a 1-3/4" tweeter and the 6 used a 1-5/8" tweet.

Over on AK one of our CSP members wrote "The Models Six, Seventeen, Twenty and Thirty all use the same tweeter. The Models Five, Twelve and Twenty-Three use a tweeter that looks virtually identical and can be used in the other group - all are 4 ohm - but they have different voicing."

So I'm assuming I can use a tweeter from a 5, 12 or 23. Not so sure about any others.

HELP!

Kent

Hi Kent

I am certainly not an expert  but the tweeter must have a totally enclosed metal frame so that the woofer back pressure does not pop out the tweeters cone material.

I have seen some tweeters with holes stamped into the frames, but the correct version will not have any holes.

The same with the mids. They had intentionally installed special sealed sub enclosures to prevent that type of accident.

The satellite speakers with a single mid/fullrange driver would not have any issues in this regard.

Vern

6 hours ago, dynaco_dan said:

Hi Kent

I am certainly not an expert  but the tweeter must have a totally enclosed metal frame so that the woofer back pressure does not pop out the tweeters cone material.

I have seen some tweeters with holes stamped into the frames, but the correct version will not have any holes.

The same with the mids. They had intentionally installed special sealed sub enclosures to prevent that type of accident.

The satellite speakers with a single mid/fullrange driver would not have any issues in this regard.

Vern

O.K. I give up.

Where have you been Vern?

Inquiring minds want to know.

FM

Archived