Unused/New and boxed AR drivers and tweeters found in loft. help valuing it?

Loft-discovery

Hello,

After recently clearing out my Dad's loft (involved in buying and selling speakers once upon a time) I have found MANY new unused boxed AR drivers and tweeters circa early 90's from what I can gather. They boxes are all AR marked with AR printed parcel tape and have assorted codes /shipping info on them on them (I assume). The speakers all have printed logo's and codes on them, Looking to find out what they are worth if anything.

I will get all the exact part numbers if this find is of interest to anyone but as a rough guide and off the top of my head:

7x 12" woofers: (with a number something like 20000-1 on the boxes.)

8 x 8" woofers: Again off the top of my head code was approx. 20000-37

28 x (some type of tweeter) code was a four digit number something like 4295

4 x tweeters with 20000-9

3x 20000-19 tweeters. (unsure on this code for now)

Plus a few more tweeters I can't recall anything about. All parts are new and have never been housed they are boxed as shipped from acoustic research in polystyrene.

As I say the codes I've put above are rough as they are from memory from going through them briefly. I will post more detailed information and pictures if anyone shows an interest.

Regards.

Ok, I have pulled the speakers out of my studio and photographed them/made a spreadsheet.

I have however come to realise that the part numbers I read on the boxes and listed above were the 'originals' codes for what I now suspect are most likely Tonegen replacements inside the boxes. Here is a list of what I have here all in unused condition (Bar one damaged foam on a 12" sub.)

Would be great if I could utilise some of the wealth of knowledge I have seen on these pages and find out what I have and what they are worth.

I may even buy some AR's myself if I have enough to start a small restoration project!

I won't post about 40 photos but to get the ball rolling here is the codes and quantities I have, If anyone wants pictures of them should it help to better identify them i'll reply to requests as I go and upload them. Not all are Tonegen I don't think... Some look 'modern' others don't.

Part/Code

Qty

95 6520

200029-1

200044-0

200011-1

1210098-0A

1210064-0B

1210081-0A

1210003-2A

7 (1 damaged foam)

Regards. D.

I would check out the library on this site to see what you can find. I don't think you will find much on those drivers because this forum is mostly about pre 1980's. There are a few guys that have some of the newer ARs. They might be able to help you out. Have you tried to find them on ebay.

I have done some reading and googling on the above listed, most of my findings brought me back to classic speaker pages via people mentioning the model numbers in other topics which i'm finding very useful. I think it is just going to take me some time to get used to which ones go in which cabinets etc.

I haven't got round to going through ebay thoroughly, although I find mostly the drivers are referred to on there by which speaker they go in, often not listing them by their part numbers for example: 8" driver for AR.....

There seems to be a lot on here regarding the 'Tonegen' Service replacement drivers. And I have found some pricing guides to the '2000-' models as they are AR originals from what I have read.

Forgive my naivety here, i'm very new to this, was just excited to find these given I am both a big music and Hifi equipment fan, but have no idea about AR!

Will check the library as you have suggested, I hadn't noticed there was one on here.

Thanks for your response.

D.

Part/Code

Qty

95 6520

200029-1

200044-0

200011-1

1210098-0A

1210064-0B

1210081-0A

1210003-2A

7 (1 damaged foam)

Regards. D.

"1" 21 indicates Tonegen drivers. For example, the 1210003-2A is the Tonegen 12 inch replacement woofer beginning with the AR-3a, and the 1210037 is a Tonegen 8 inch woofer

used in many AR speakers. It is quite possible the woofers' foam surrounds are deteriorating, but I believe you have some nice drivers. Many of your drivers appear to be original and/or replacements for some very popular classic AR models.

Parts Lists can be found here:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/acoustic_research/special_sections/additional_ar_documents/

They are worth what people are willing to pay for them. Ebay auctions will provide an indication of maximum value. There are no price guides or "blue book" for these things.

If you are trying to sell them, post a message in the For Sale/Wanted section below. Photos and location will be necessary.

Roy

If you go to the home page you will see a line that has the links to the rest of the site and keep reading.

I will warn you that reading on this site my cause you to become an AR addict.

I found this site while looking for info on a pair of AR-91 that someone had put out for garbage. They needed surrounds on the woofers so they sat here for a year. Then one day I was bored and thought, I'm going to see what these AR's are all about. I found this site and with the help of the members managed to fix up the 91's. Now a year and a half later or so I have a fine collection of some of the best speakers every made.

I hope it works out as well for you.

Harry

There seems to be a lot on here regarding the 'Tonegen' Service replacement drivers. And I have found some pricing guides to the '2000-' models as they are AR originals from what I have read.

. . . . I am both a big music and Hifi equipment fan, but have no idea about AR!

Roy C is one of the authors of the AR-3a restoration guide. You down load it here: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/acoustic_research/original_models_1954-1974/original_models_schematicss/restoring_the_ar-3a/

there are photos of AR-3a (and other) drivers starting on page 26, including the Tonegens. Some part numbers and you can compare the pictures to what you have.

As a hi-fi and music fan, you may be very happy to get to know AR. Do a google search on Edgar Villchur and you'll see how he revolutionized the hi-fi industry. Today there are basically 2 ways to design a speaker: Sealed or vented/ported. The sealed speaker is Villchur's invention and the very first "acoustic suspension" speaker was the AR-1, first produced in the 50s, and every sealed hi-fi speaker is a direct descendant.

Who knows? Maybe you'll not only get the "AR" bug but also the classic speaker restoration bug. It's fun! You might want to hold on to those drivers for a while, for your own projects ;)

Kent

"1" 21 indicates Tonegen drivers. For example, the 1210003-2A is the Tonegen 12 inch replacement woofer beginning with the AR-3a, and the 1210037 is a Tonegen 8 inch woofer

used in many AR speakers. It is quite possible the woofers' foam surrounds are deteriorating, but I believe you have some nice drivers. Many of your drivers appear to be original and/or replacements for some very popular classic AR models.

Parts Lists can be found here:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/acoustic_research/special_sections/additional_ar_documents/

They are worth what people are willing to pay for them. Ebay auctions will provide an indication of maximum value. There are no price guides or "blue book" for these things.

If you are trying to sell them, post a message in the For Sale/Wanted section below. Photos and location will be necessary.

Roy

Thanks for your response Roy,

The foam on all the drivers seem absolutely fine, They have been boxed properly. The damaged foam on the 12" I mentioned was due to them being stacked in a loft, some of the 12" drivers are 5 or 6 to a box, one of which is upward facing to the lid, I believe weight of the other boxes on top damaged this one driver, all of the others look completely new as does the rest of the damaged one's foam where not damaged if you get what I mean.

It is quite possible i'm getting the bug here, i've started printing things out and have commandeered a ring binder..... oh oohhh!

:-D

I know that the 200029-1 part number is the tweeter number in my AR-9's. Ah, I'd love to buy a couple from ya if you decide to sell.

I would be interested in a pair of the 1210003-2a 12" tonegen woofers if you care to sell them

Thanks

brianO

Thank you for your responses here, I wish to test all of the drivers before I think about selling them, but will almost certainly get back to you on these requests.

Regards

Dion.

If you go to the home page you will see a line that has the links to the rest of the site and keep reading.

I will warn you that reading on this site my cause you to become an AR addict.

I found this site while looking for info on a pair of AR-91 that someone had put out for garbage. They needed surrounds on the woofers so they sat here for a year. Then one day I was bored and thought, I'm going to see what these AR's are all about. I found this site and with the help of the members managed to fix up the 91's. Now a year and a half later or so I have a fine collection of some of the best speakers every made.

I hope it works out as well for you.

Harry

Thanks Harry,

I have just also found a Pioneer SA 7800 in full working order, I believe this maybe the final straw! I think I want some AR's, haha!

The struggle will be working out what to go for if I did based on the parts I have to keep behind as back up. :wacko:

Regards,

Dion.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Just to let you know I am happy to accept sensible offers on the below listed items, I am based in the UK so please bear in mind postage costs on top of any price offered.

I will post in the for sale section with pictures when I have more time but they are all in mint condition and will be going on ebay after I have posted them in the for sale section here.

If you need/want any of the below, drop me a message and i'll send some photos over.

Regards

Dion.

Part/Code

Qty

95 6520

200029-1

200044-0

200011-1

1210098-0A

1210064-0B

1210081-0A

1210003-2A

7 (1 damaged foam)

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am replying because I just bought a pair of AR-7 speakers, of which one needs to be repaired, since the roll surround is almost all gone.

This driver seems to be original (it has a square magnet, like the drivers in my AR-6).

The other speaker had its bass driver replaced by one marked AR 1210037-2a, 801 TNB, similar to the ones you found.

From what I gather this seems to be the correct replacement.

See the attached pictures: left the AR-6 driver, then the two AR-7 drivers. By the way did you find a suffix on the speaker magnet?

Do you know what you would like to ask for one of the AR 1210037 you found?

regards,

Hans Bakker

post-117661-0-43593000-1364153337_thumb.

post-117661-0-02858800-1364153339_thumb.

post-117661-0-47024800-1364153341_thumb.

Archived