Reference 2a set purchased, pre-use questions

Flatsboy

I just ran across  a set of 2a's in great condition, albeit with the black chip-board cabinets for $175, they sold for $424 in 1994. I'm planning to run them on my DSP-A1 as primaries and as this is my first Allison set I'm curious what discovery or proactive maintenance is recommended. As close as I can tell they are circa 1994 production. I also have 2 different but original RDL brochures from that era. I checked them out on the seller's Van Alstine 35W tube and they sounded great with no visible issues. Thanks in advance.

RDL 2.jpg

RDL 1.jpg

RDL 3.jpg

On 11/21/2017 at 10:28 PM, Flatsboy said:

I just ran across  a set of 2a's in great condition, albeit with the black chip-board cabinets for $175, they sold for $424 in 1994. I'm planning to run them on my DSP-A1 as primaries and as this is my first Allison set I'm curious what discovery or proactive maintenance is recommended. As close as I can tell they are circa 1994 production. I also have 2 different but original RDL brochures from that era. I checked them out on the seller's Van Alstine 35W tube and they sounded great with no visible issues. Thanks in advance.

RDL 2.jpg

RDL 1.jpg

RDL 3.jpg

They look nice....just run them.

The surrounds on the woofers appear to have been redone. And nicely, at least the one I can see.

As Allison had stated the tweeters require no maintenance, and in fact should not be handled at all.

Bill

9 hours ago, Flatsboy said:

They sound clean with no issues on the Yamaha DSP-A1 and almost as good on a Harman Kardon HK 8000 a friend gave me. Yes they sounded better on the Van Alstine. Thanks for the responses, I've decided to leave them alone as there are no issues I can see or hear.

Good move....

If the one with the grill on looks as good as what can be seen you should get years from them before surrounds are needed.

The woofer looks like new foam was already done on it.

All of my Allison woofers have been redone, and that’s A Lot of woofers!

Bill

Archived