Biamping L1590 anyone doing it?

audiofreak

Also you are reducing (if you will) stress on the power supply in the high frequency amp, as it no longer has to reproduce frequency's it is not using anymore. Same with bass amp, it no longer has to deal with all the high frequency's anymore. Amps don't have to work as hard and deliver cleaner and more dynamic sound. Subject to what amps you are using and of course the quality of the xover (externail) the ADS''S are designed for this and really proform at thier best this way. Not necessarily the same results with other speakers I have used. The ADS''S just come alive and fill the room with amazing sound.I can not recommend this too strongly on the ADS'S. 

• 4 weeks later...

All I can say is try it (I'm not selling nuttin) but I now know 5 people in my area that bi/tri AMP ADS speakers (this way) and to a man they have fallen in love and won't go back! They/we have been down that path ie: trying most  of the other ways and have found what works for us.  

• 3 months later...

I am still planning on it.  I picked up a MiniDSP and Umik microphone so I guess I can give it a go.I will be mixing and matching amplifiers though.  Wondering if it will be okay to use my WOPL SS 250w/ch amp on teh bottome end along with my Dynaco ST70 up top for something like this.

yes.  Device sits between preamp and amps.  This particular one is 2 in 4 out so I can split to two amps.  Connect the device to your laptop and a microphone and make any adjustment you can think of and what the computer picks up on.  They have others that split more ways too.  Can be used to do high level room equalization adjustments or used to divide.  Or both.  Once you set the settings you disconnect the computer.  Look up minidsp

1590 xover frequency is 350Hz, match the internal 12dB/octave and call it done.

Amps should be capable of high current and good damping factor.  I'm sending 200wrms to each side of ADS crossover - enough and not too much.  Recall that each circuit is 4 ohm.  Limiting factor for SPL will be the tweeter protection, although if you use program with a lot of subsonic content you can hurt the woofers - I use a subwoofer below 100Hz after hurting an L-980 (ouch).   If you're using Series 1, make sure you source spare tweeter fuses as you won't find them collecting dust on shelves at Radio Shack.  And despite lore on wires, I do lean to "large" - for instance, my amps are 20A capable and I think that's part of why they work sooo well.

I suppose the DSP and microphone could be useful for making sure levels smoothly align on a white noise spectrum if you're using mis-matched power amps, but your ear will tell you that pretty darn close I'd expect.  My dbx crossovers have detents on the adjustments, made it easy to set it all up uniformly.  Applying the 'tech' to white noise will tell you more about the room than the speakers (assuming everything is healthy) and something like a dbx 14/10 can help you dial in; I think that belongs in your preamp effects loop rather than in your crossovers though.

Good luck however you proceed, I'm sure you will enjoy.

- Jeff

I'm driving L-1590 fronts and L-980 rears ie 4 corners biamped, with two dbx BX-1's.  Pretty HTF; bought the first one new and lucked into a second one.  Looking for a third for a spare.  To round out the setup, I've got a BX-2 running my centers, if I had a passive sub I'd probably try to run that with it too (2-3-4 configurable).

No fans for me, thanks.

Inputs come from either the matching CX-1 preamp (4ch audio) or a Pio SC-99 (surround), switching paths through a dbx 200xg to a pair of 223 crossovers.  I actually use the 200xg to also switch between east-facing (L-980 front) or west-facing (L-1590 front), but the sweet spot for facing east is taken up by my rack setup being pushed out for easier rear access...  It does seem to have gotten a little out of hand...

Cheers,

- Jeff

$_35.JPG

bx-1_specs.jpg

3 hours ago, audiofreak said:

>snip< but the bass is so good as is I just don't feel they need the support.

Clearly you haven't tried L-980s (big grin)...

I'm running a sub not so much for sound, but rather for security.  Proper parts are HTF.

Best,

- Jeff

Archived