Ar5 vs AR 2ax

AlgoRhythms

Hi Everyone,

I'm a nubie here and wanted to get some insight into AR speakers.  This forum seems like a great place to do that.

My first question is to get some opinions about the AR5 and the AR2ax speakers.  I'm putting together a 1970's vintage home system based around a nicely restored Marantz 2230 receiver and I'm considering these two options.

What is the difference in sound between these two speakers.

Thanks for sharing your opinions.

Michael MacDonald

AlgoRhythms

Hi Michael and welcome!

I would suggest starting with this thread. There is even a video of comparison between the two models you speak of.

While I too am a Marantz fan, the 2230 may not have the oomph needed to drive the 5s.

I am gearing up to do a more thought out video of the same comparison, should get to that soon.

Geoff

Thanks for your reply.  The thread you posted was very helpful.  I tried to use the search function of the forum but came up empty handed.

T'm a fan of those '70's receivers from Marantz, Pioneer, etc.  To my ears, the low wattage ones sound the best, as long as they are not driven too hard.

I've been looking at a pair of AR5a that are on ebay right now.  Thy are very high priced, especially when shipping is added in.

Other options for my vintage system are Original Advents or ADS 710's.

But for some reason I'm drawn to a real classic like the AR5.

I am currently listening to 2ax's with 5's stacked on top. Both are excellent sounding speakers, but of course the 5's are going to sound better. Especially in the midrange. The dome midrange of the 5's just has better presence and dispersion. I am using a Pioneer SX-1010 to drive them but have also used a Marantz 2270. They can be expensive and shipping doesn't help. Both sets of my fives came from two different sellers in Cincinnati three months apart. Made a two hour drive each way. Well worth it. Just saw a real nice pair on CL in South Bend for $250.00. They didn't last long.  Keep looking locally or within driving distance. If the pair you eventually  get need work you are in the right place for advice and guidance. They will pop up sooner than you might imagine.  One last thought. A nice pair of 4x speakers would be sweet with that 2230, but I don't know your listening environment.

Thank you for your response.

This seems like a great site for real information.  I appreciate your advice.

This is my for home system, primarily for background music and moderate listening levels.

I a professional audio person and have a high end system at work.   I'm looking for enjoyment at home since I have serious accuracy at work.

I've been looking at OLA speakers for my home system as I knew them well in the '70's.  But for some reason I'm drawn to ARs.  I first heard AR3a as a teenager and that impression has never left me. 

Later I was an audio sales person and sold ARs, primarily AR 9's, AR 11's and AR 18's.

( I would love another pair of AR18's)

So, I'm very interested in AR5's as I believe that may be the speaker that will satisfy me.  If the Marantz 2230 isn't enough power than I'd use a pair of Marantz 8bs strapped as monoblocks....

I still have and use my AR-5's on a daily basis.  I bought them new at the Navy exchange in 1974.  I debated between the AR-3's, AR-5's and AR-2ax's.  My friends had all three models, so I did have a chance to listen to all.  I think they are great speakers and hope they last the rest of my life.  I originally used a Pioneer 727 which I still own.  To me, and I like a lot of acoustic music, they can not be beat.  A few years ago I considered replacing them, but instead rebuilt them and love listening to them.  I know I am not as technical as many here, but from a pure enjoyment standpoint, you can not beat them.  To me, the AR-5's are one of the best purchases I have ever made!

Archived