AR 1....is this original?

lakecat

The guy selling this speaker says it is all original. It doesn't have any badges nor does the grill material seem to be the same as I have seen on other AR1's. He says it doesn't seem to be removable. It seems to be an early serial number. I don't know much about the AR 1's so asking if this is original and can relay the info to the seller so he doesn't end up in a mess. Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Acoustic-Research-AR-1-Speaker-Western-Electric-Altec-755A-1950s-/332113468090?hash=item4d53815aba:g:9XUAAOSw44BYlMJ4

It was definitely an AR-1 cabinet, and the back panel is original, but there was no way of knowing if it had all of the original drivers.  AR never had a burlap/cane grill like the one shown -- and would never have sold one with a grill like that -- and the comment by the seller that it had never been opened is surely false.  Someone along the way had been inside and then replaced the grill.  AR did put special grills on speakers, and on special order would install other materials other than what the company supplied, but burlap is notoriously poor for that purpose. 

I'm surprised that anyone would buy it without seeing the having the original AR grill, but many buyers simply don't know what is original and what is not.

--Tom Tyson

10 hours ago, tysontom said:

It was definitely an AR-1 cabinet, and the back panel is original, but there was no way of knowing if it had all of the original drivers.  AR never had a burlap/cane grill like the one shown -- and would never have sold one with a grill like that -- and the comment by the seller that it had never been opened is surely false.  Someone along the way had been inside and then replaced the grill.  AR did put special grills on speakers, and on special order would install other materials other than what the company supplied, but burlap is notoriously poor for that purpose. 

I'm surprised that anyone would buy it without seeing the having the original AR grill, but many buyers simply don't know what is original and what is not.

--Tom Tyson

Thanks Tom.....this seller has acquired AR items from a collector through an estate sale.. He also has a pair of AR3's that were painted black on the Bay and he originally had that as listed with Western Electric drivers. I contacted him and corrected that ad for him as it would just save a big mess for him. He then told me he had that AR1 for sale and upon looking at it, I told him it didn't look right with that grill....but I didn't know much about them. He swore it had never been opened but he knew even less than I. Was just trying to help him before a mess starts. I will give him this info and he can decide whether to contact the buyer with this news. I appreciate the input.

Archived