Is this a 4x tweeter?

TimmyTonga

3 hours ago, TimmyTonga said:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112063071906

You don't really see them over here much.

t

Yes, apparently from an AR-2x model which the predecessor of the infamous AR-8. I don't remember ever seeing either of these large 2-ways in person.

AR-4.2016.08.02.01.jpg

Roger

Definitely shows a driver(s) suitable for the AR-4x tweeter, but the peculiar thing about that listing is that all of the text refers to a single tweeter, but the pics clearly show two different tweeters - - front and rear views, and with different DCR readings (5.3 and 4.6Ω) - - neither of which matches what is stated in the text (5.5Ω). While any of these three measurements is acceptable, it would be a good idea to clarify exactly what is for sale at this price. 

That chimes with the caveat that the gasket may not be included. What you see is probably not what you get.

This is slightly academic as I don't have a cabinet to put it in.

Yet.

But there is a one-eyed pair 300 miles away. Hmmm.

Thanks again ra.ra and Roger

This tweeter looks exactly like the ones in a pair of 4x speakers I recently restored. It is my understanding that there were two versions of the AR2x speakers. The 1964-1970 with 31/2 in tweeters and the 1970-1973 version with these 2 1/2 in tweeter. 

IMG_0443_zps8hqdhv6h.jpg

I cant quite read the date on the tweeter for sale. It looks like April 8, 1968, which is the same date stamped on my tweeters.

IMG_0431_zps8exbn9gd.jpg

Hmmm...... that tweeter listing looks totally different than it did this AM when I first commented, but I guess "good things come to those who wait" since the foam gasket is now included. :lol:

And larrybody is correct - - there were at least two versions of the 2x.

Archived