Mystery KLH speakers

Myxzee

A friend of my mine recently gave me a set of Cizek model one speakers which had the original 10 inch woofers replaced with KLH woofers. They seem like good woofers but they need new foam. I was wondering if there was somewhere online that provides the correct sized sorrounds for KLH speakers because I don't exactly trust the one size fits all stuff out there. Plus the deteriorated foam seems to be teal in color, which seems to be hard to find. Im pretty ignorant when it comes to these things. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Welcome Myxzee!

I'm not familiar with those particular KLH drivers but I suspect they are post-classic, maybe from the 80s. That's just based on the dust caps.

Interestingly, the cones resemble Cizek Ones, with the damping ring. I think a "generic" surround may work, as long as all the measurements are correct. Our friend John at M-Sound is no longer in business unfortunately but I've heard good things about Rick Cobb. I believe his ebay store is looneytune2001. Other CSP members may know of other good suppliers who will take the time to find the corrrect size.

I recommend cutting the dust caps off, shimming, and replacing the caps. The "test tone" method is fallible and besides, you don't want that KLH logo on there. I also recommend the white glue--either the stuff supplied with foams or Aleene's Tacky glue. The other kind, like contact cement, is messy and unforgiving.

Another option would be to send them to Bill LeGall of Millersound. He'll do the job right.

I "was" going to suggest searching for original Cizek woofers but they're scarcer than hen's teeth and absurdly expensive.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Kent

Hi Myxzee,

That woofer looks totally unfamiliar to me, but the attached thread discusses a somewhat rare KLH model which has magnet structures and product stamps very similar to yours. The KLH Model 1 (and 2, 3 and 4) debuted in the very early 80's, and it appears your 10" woofer is identified by the "8514", and the "0881" refers to date of production: 8th week of 1981.

I have no idea which KLH speaker model that woofer belongs to, but the surround should be scrutinized a bit. In your photo, it almost appears to be a wrinkly, crinkly, pinched fabric surround - - 35 year-old foams are normally flaking off in shreds and crumbly dust. If in fact it is foam which requires replacement, you'll want to be careful when removing that outer protective ring which could be easily damaged. Also, it appears that the inner lip of the surround goes under, rather than over, the cone.

Pic below shows magnet from smaller KLH-4 woofer.

woofer rear.jpg

Thanks so much for your replies. So much very helpful information! After asking around I was able to find a seller on eBay who has the correct size surrounds for these woofers. From the photos I posted I can see that it does appear the surrounds are made of some sort of fabric, but on closer inspection they flake apart like foam. I am going to attemp to replace the surrounds myself. I watched some YouTube videos and thought I'd give it a shot. We'll see how it goes?  If for some reason I fail miserably, how much does it usually cost to have someone replace the surrounds for me? And are these speakers even worth the trouble? I looked into replacing the dust caps and that seemed a bit harder, maybe something to be left to a professional?

Archived