broken capacitor wire on AR-3a

richard#1949

Yep.  Photo?

Original cap?

The hard part is apparently past - you are inside.  Replace all the caps and clean the pots.  Refer to the AR3a restoration manual you can download from this site.  Everything you would ever need.

Thanks David,   I've seen your posts and  realize you know your stuff. These are the old cloth surround ARs that I previously installed the caps and pots from the kit from Carl along with the AR guide and Carl's instructions. I originally reused the wiring already there [with my substandard soldering skills.] They worked but the mid was touchy and the tweeter had no sound. I bought new tweeters for this [back-wired] and the other one [ front wired ] from the vintage AR store with new premeasured stuffing to do it right this time. I went back inside using new wiring ,a de-soldering gun [and solder help via Utube]. I was doing ok until the wire broke off the 6uF cap. Disappointed for not finishing, I went and searched for a replacement cap on the web. The closest I could find was a 5.6uf of the same type from Dayton Audio. I ordered it. Will it work or should I wait and buy another whole replacement kit minus the pots? I'm sorry for not having pics at the moment but I'll put some up later. I'll also need to  talk about the other front wired AR too, but it's this one that's on the operating table.  Thank you David and anyone else who'd like to add  thoughts.

2 hours ago, DavidDru said:

Everything you would ever need.

So many of us have learned so much by absorbing the terrific information in the 3a restoration document, but for any speaker model with the cloth woofer surrounds (like the OP), we should try to recommend the manual with the one caveat that they should avoid the outdated recommendation to re-dope the surrounds using the Permatex sealant discussed on page 6, and instead recommend the butyl solution from vintage-AR, if required. 

Normally, cap replacement is desired to be implemented in both speakers at the same time in order to maintain a uniform stereo pair. The 5.6uF cap will probably work fine even if it results in adjusting the crossover frequency a bit, but several good 6uF caps are commonly available.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/carli-capacitors/carli-mylar-6-mfd/

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/solen-capacitors/solen-6-mfd-fast-cap-400v/

http://www.erseaudio.com/Products/PEx250v/6uF-250-volt-Metallized-Polyester-Mylar-Film-Capacitor

http://www.erseaudio.com/Products/PulseX250v/MPX25-03-6-00

3 hours ago, richard#1949 said:

Thanks David,   I've seen your posts and  realize you know your stuff. These are the old cloth surround ARs that I previously installed the caps and pots from the kit from Carl along with the AR guide and Carl's instructions. I originally reused the wiring already there [with my substandard soldering skills.] They worked but the mid was touchy and the tweeter had no sound. I bought new tweeters for this [back-wired] and the other one [ front wired ] from the vintage AR store with new premeasured stuffing to do it right this time. I went back inside using new wiring ,a de-soldering gun [and solder help via Utube]. I was doing ok until the wire broke off the 6uF cap. Disappointed for not finishing, I went and searched for a replacement cap on the web. The closest I could find was a 5.6uf of the same type from Dayton Audio. I ordered it. Will it work or should I wait and buy another whole replacement kit minus the pots? I'm sorry for not having pics at the moment but I'll put some up later. I'll also need to  talk about the other front wired AR too, but it's this one that's on the operating table.  Thank you David and anyone else who'd like to add  thoughts.

This Dayton 6.2uf cap would be a better cap to use:

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dmpc-62-62uf-250v-polypropylene-capacitor--027-427

Not sure how you could have broken off the cap lead. They can take alot of bending without breaking. It sounds like you were a bit heavy handed. Are you sure the cap issue wasn't the cause of the tweeter with no sound?

Roy

I was trying to remove the cap to rewire it when the glue that held the cap was still attached to the wire at the bottom. A little bit of glue I didn't see was the culprit [and me]. This was ok previously. I was redoing the restoration in the guide and being meticulous with the soldering. I don't want to keep taking these apart: this was the third time for both of these speakers. They now both have new pots, caps, stuffing, and the replacement tweeters from the AR vintage store. I ordered the 6uF cap yesterday so I'll have to wait to finish this one [the back-wired]. When I installed the replacement tweeter two months ago it worked but only in a touchy pot adjustment that I needed to keep checking. The front wired new replacement tweeter never worked on the other speaker, but that could be because its hard to solder wires onto those connectors sticking up from the baffle board.The guide says to solder to these but no details as to how. Any tips would be appreciated. They have black paint on them which probably doesn't help either. After I install the 6uF cap that's on the way, I'm going back inside the second speaker [this front-wired one] to recheck and redo wiring so these tweeters will finally work too. I'm not very experienced at soldering but I'm getting better. Thanks for the input.

If this is for your 3a's and you received a yellow Carli cap, 150 is the correct voltage for that brand and will work just fine. The original caps in the AR-3 were only 50 volt, and excessively higher voltage caps are normally unnecessary. The Erse caps that were previously mentioned in your earlier thread are 250V and the Solen is 400V. All of them would work fine, but in my opinion, you made the right choice. Good luck with the soldering.

(No need to create a separate thread for this - - in fact, usually better to keep discussion within the original thread.)

Archived