LST's on ebay???????

roundhome

Guest dogmeninreno

>Tell me if i'm seeing this right There are a pair of LST's on

>ebay do they have the same problem our friend in England has

>with his 10's the woofer mounting looks to have been reworked

>for a different driver then had AR's put back in.

>Is this correct our do I need new Eyes.

>Jim

Jim, You could be correct? The Woofers are installed about 20 degrees off axis as I look at them. Is there any problem with repositioning the woofers and resealing for the acoustic seal? I may bid on these so any help will be appreciated>>Dale in Reno

From what I can see you will have no problem on these it seams only the out lip was made round the mounting base seams to be ok just rotate them and they will look fine it. If you are good at wood work it would be vary easy to fix the cosmetics with out it ever showing.

I have made my own LST's I'm not quit ready to show every one on here Yet but they have two woofers in the front. I have no real good pictures of LST's to compare just my LST IIs

Jim

>Tell me if i'm seeing this right There are a pair of LST's on

>ebay do they have the same problem our friend in England has

>with his 10's the woofer mounting looks to have been reworked

>for a different driver then had AR's put back in.

>Is this correct our do I need new Eyes.

>Jim

Jim,

With the AR-10Pi, the woofer cut-out in the cabinet has the flat side routed in the cabinet, just as in the AR-3a, AR-3 and AR-1, etc. The LST, however, was routed for a full circle, which means that the woofer could be mounted the the flat side oriented in any position as long as the woofer lead wires would reach. The first LSTs had the flat sides in the "9 o'clock" and "3 o'clock" positions, which is probably proper, but others came with the woofer mounted in a sort of "10 o'clock" and "4 o'clock" position.

Our friend in England would not have a problem remounting his AR woofers in the AR-10Pis if he has not damaged or changed the cut out or the mounting-screw locations, etc., but I think he may have gone past the point of no return when he mounted the Eminence guitar speakers in his 10Pis. Maybe he will send some images of what he has done so we can better assess the changes.

--Tom Tyson

Thank you Mr Tyson

I tried to look at some pictures of the LST but none were clear enough to see this. So these have just been put back in different then we are used to seeing. Now I feel A little out of place but as long as I learn something and some others can from my observation without the facts. its ok. So is this the only AR 12 that can be put in at any rotation. I'll bet the guy had a lot more peaple looking reel close at his LST then ever before.

Jim

>>The Woofers are installed about 20 degrees off axis

as I look at them. Is there any problem with repositioning

the woofers and resealing for the acoustic seal? I may bid

on these so any help will be appreciated>>Dale in Reno

The LST, however, was routed for a full circle, which

means that the woofer could be mounted the flat side

oriented in any position as long as the woofer lead wires

would reach. The first LSTs had the flat sides in the

"9 o'clock" and "3 o'clock" positions, which is probably

proper, but others came with the woofer mounted in a

sort of "10 o'clock" and "4 o'clock" position. Tom<<

Dale,

If you’re still considering bidding on these, I’ll confirm that Tom is absolutely correct. My brother’s LSTs are the same vintage (front wired) as those up for auction and they indeed have round cutouts for the woofers. Plenty of wood underneath to seal the woofers. The pair up for auction may be even earlier – it looks like the crossover was built and installed from the back. My brother’s pair have a one piece back and the crossover is attached to it from the inside and held in place by five screws / nuts.

Things I noticed on the pair up for auction:

-- One spectral balance knob is missing – is this why the allen wrench/hex key is included??

-- Both speakers are missing the AR LST badge on the front grill.

-- Woofers have obviously been re-foamed.

Hope this helps. Good Luck and Happy Bidding.

Rich

Archived