Need Help Tracking Tweeter Problem

Charles218

I thought that I was at the final step in getting a pair of 3A's off the bench and running, but instead I'm left trying to figure out why one tweeter is not working. A quick test with a 1.5 volt battery confirms that the tweeter works, and the pot has been cleaned twice and measures perfectly. I've checked continuity from the terminal strip on top of the baffle board to each connector on the pot and all is well. I'm not sure how to proceed at this point, what else can I look for?

You do have the jumper in place, right?

If so, do you have a signal arriving at the tweeter pot?

And even though you've run the battery test for your tweeter, you might want to connect it directly to a signal generator, and check for audible output - within its frequency range & at a safe level, of course.

Since I generally use wire nuts when wiring crossovers, it was quite easy to disconnect the B wire and connect it to 1, thereby pulling the pot out of the circuit. Still no response from the tweeter, so I swapped tweeters and it turns out the tweeter was bad. Fortunately I had one spare 3A tweeter and now I have a working pair of speakers. Problem solved!

Archived