A25 clones ?

sinewaver

For a first time poster, I hope have a worthy subject. Having read many pages here for months now, and Dyna A25's being rather dear to me, I saw a question about the design and if it had been used anywhere else. I submit that the Fried Q/2 was the closest to a clone. I have a pair and the similarities are profound. They are the same dimensions and have a stuffed port on the bottom of the front baffle. A two way with an eight inch driver instead of the ten and a dome tweeter. The crossover is quite complex. I'm sure the production run was rather small. Built in Philadelphia PA, I assume around the early eighties. They could be dismissed as simple imitations were it not for the pedigree. Irving M Fried was one of the notables of audio. Having rebuilt these, I am somewhat qualified to make comments about the construction but can only speculate about how they came to be. Not too surprisingly, they sound very much like A25's. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, these are it. Does anybody have experiance with these ? The web has very little information.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to the CSP!
I remember Fried speakers but never heard them. They were not considered to be imitation Dynacos--Fried speakers were quite highly regarded in the audiophile press IIRC. He was a pioneer in the areas of sub/sat, transmission line and other innovations.

Here is a history: http://www.friedproducts.com/

Tweeter info here: http://www.hiquphon.eu/spare_parts_for_old_fried_speakers.html

I was happy to find this list but then found that all the links were dead! :angry:http://www.imf-electronics.com/Home/fried

Pronounced "Freed" and not "fried" like a burnt tweeter. Irving M also made IMF products.

Try a Google search on "Fried loudspeaker stereophile" for a number of articles.

I'm guessing that since most people never heard of Fried speakers they probably go for peanuts if you see them at a yard sale or thrift store. They would be a great find!
Kent

Thank you for the welcome. I am no stranger to these (Fried speakers) as I recalled them being in audio "salons" many years ago. I snapped them up from a CL posting. I have done quite extensive research on-line and ran into all those dead links and such. I am aware of Bud Fried's status in the speaker world and would not infer any plagiarism on his part. However, I am sure he was not oblivious to one of the world's most popular speakers (A25) In my search for information, I found others who noticed the similarities. These (Q2's) are neither aperiodic or true transmission lines. Bud Fried was somewhat focused on transmission line design and crossovers were a specific interest. Perhaps I should have posted pictures with my original comments. They are a fine addition to my collection. Not only rare but they sound great. Too bad there is so little to be known about them. You can find pix of Q3's and they seem to be all in black, perhaps later production. It's easy for me to make comparisons to the Dyna's, I have a pair of A25's that I purchased new...

post-153240-0-33295300-1385707136_thumb.

post-153240-0-16550800-1385707170_thumb.

Archived