Collecting the AR3 family...

lakecat

It started two years ago when I purchased the AR2ax and the Heathkit AS-103 combo from a very nice gentleman in this area. Both were mint and I knew little about them but was aware they were great speakers. You can imagine my surprise when I hooked up the 103's and heard the most incredible bass I have ever heard in a speaker that size. I was hooked....line and sinker.

I looked and looked for a pair of AR3a's in this area after finding out the 103's were a version of the 3a's. I came here and read much. I found a pair not far away that needed work but were nice candidates for refinishing. I met the fine gentleman Roy on here that helped me immensely and got the 3a's in fighting shape. They are like new now and my forever keepers. Thanks again Roy!

But always curious, I read and read to find out the AR3 was on everyone's list, so I looked and looked. I found a pair that was a three hour drive away and listened to them there after he told me they were recapped. Well...I was stunned again and brought them home. I got to tell ya I was very, very impressed with these 3's. Forevers?....everytime I think about selling them, I play some tunes...and they are still here!

To top it off, I had a chance to buy Kantor's latest version of the 3a....the 303. Black and beautiful and the sound is like the big brother to the others. It makes you feel the music. They are now here also and I love them. What is more odd is they were made in 1995 and my 3's were made in 1965. Thirty years of AR3 history in these four pairs of speakers.

A nice collection that happened in many right ways. Now.....about that 11.........

You just had to post this now. LOL. I was going to sell my 3a's this weekend because I don't listen to them much since the 90's

were finished. I'm listening to Led Zeppelin, In through the out door, on vinyl, thinking it sounds a little bright on the 90's. Now,

because I read this, I'm going to have to play it again on the 3a's and the 11's to see which one's sound right. I'm blaming you if

I decide not to sell the 3a's. Thanks LOL.

Harry

The 3a's won,11's second. They just sound right on 70's vinyl. I think the AR90's will win on 80's vinyl. How can I possibly sell them now? LOL

Harry

You can never sell them now Harry...lol

Hi Lakecate, I would like to know what source(s) and how you power up your AR3s' family... :rolleyes:

Hi Gary,

I power the 3a's with a Sansui 9090 that I have owned since 1976. The 303's get a Sansui G-7700 and the other two take turns on a Sansui G-6700. All recapped and like new.

Archived