The $2.00 AR6's

stuckinthe70s

A couple of years ago I attended a antique radio and electronics auction where I purchased this set of AR6's for the sum of $2.00. They were sitting there looking neglected, people were looking at them but when they came up for auction, no one was interested- except me! So, $2.00 bought them. They've just been sitting but now I'm ready to start the restoration.

As you can see, the cabinets are a bit rough, but very fixable. The grill frames are good with the exception of 1 small break on one of them. I've confirmed that the drivers are functional so I will order new woofer surrounds soon. A question regarding the crossovers- these are pretty early s/n's, so they have the single 10 mfd cap in the waxy box- do these capacitors typically go out of spec and should they be replaced?

Another crossover question- while digging through the archives here reading posts on these speakers, I saw reference to some discussions about removing all of the crossover components except for the capacitor, effectively making it the same as later models crossovers(I have the 2 coils in addition to the cap). Just wondering if this is a worthwhile change on this era speaker?

I am quite excited to get these functional again and give them a good listen. I'm not expecting to like them as much as my 3's, but maybe I'll be surprised. I plan to use them in my work room.

One last question- are my woofers the Alnico model? I'm assuming so, judging by the ribbed cone and the magnet doesn't look like the ceramic type.

TIA for any input.

post-103878-0-67806800-1375420824_thumb.

post-103878-0-69140100-1375420835_thumb.

post-103878-0-40644600-1375420848_thumb.

post-103878-0-84780100-1375420893_thumb.

post-103878-0-91289800-1375421253_thumb.

post-103878-0-83828200-1375421267_thumb.

Nice find! I assume you've seen this thread: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=7556

I can't comment on the various xo versions but would definitely replace the old wax block with new film caps.

Just to add my $.02 to your $2.00 :D

Kent

Two bucks? Sheesh, I would have paid double or triple that amount....

Very nice auction purchase. From what I can see, everything is fully restorable, and you will someday soon have a terrific set of speakers. Based on the serial numbers and your last photo, it does appear that indeed you do have the very early alnico magnets, which I have never seen. Attached here are a few bits of information - - the first two show and discuss the alnico woofer and its long throw voice coil, while the third shows a variety of schematics for various versions of the AR-6 - - yours would appear to be version A.

Mostly because I've never come across the alnico woofer in an AR-6, which makes me think of your specimens as a little bit rare, my suggestion would be to fully restore the original crossover and don't even think about trying to 'simplify' it. I may be wrong, but I think the "no coil" version was maybe a Euro model and it definitely had a switch and not the potentiometer (see version C).

For reference, I will try to locate some x-o pics of a nearly similar AR-6 restoration I completed last year. Meanwhile, regarding performance, my initial suggestions would be:

1. remove wax block cap and replace with good quality film cap.

2. remove, restore and replace pot controls (or substitute with L-pads, if desired).

3. replace woofer surrounds (and dust caps, re: shimming) with highly compliant foams.

post-112624-0-00840300-1375454584_thumb. post-112624-0-59134000-1375454610_thumb. post-112624-0-55250300-1375454871_thumb. post-112624-0-34868700-1375456299_thumb.

I knew ra.ra would have some answers!

Many of us like MSound for surround kits. He has a new website and email. His Web site will be www.msound.biz but it’s not up and running yet. Email is msound@shentel.net and that IS working. Just email him and ask for the kit you need.

If you don't have 10uF caps I have a couple spare Madisound Surplus caps. Send me a PM and I'll mail them for the cost of the caps (0.60 ea) + postage (probably $1.60)

Kent

Mostly because I've never come across the alnico woofer in an AR-6, which makes me think of your specimens as a little bit rare, my suggestion would be to fully restore the original crossover and don't even think about trying to 'simplify' it. I may be wrong, but I think the "no coil" version was maybe a Euro model and it definitely had a switch and not the potentiometer (see version C).

I guess in reality I wasn't really thinking I'd do the xo mod, I'm more of a "keep it original" kind of guy anyway, at least when possible. I was curious to know if the single cap only was the popular choice when restoring these speakers, or if it offered a substantial sound upgrade. I don't plan to go there.

Thanks for the great info you've provided.

Attached are before and after pics of a crossover for a somewhat similar AR-6 configuration. The cap replacement is very simple and straightforward. My speaker pair is a bit of a hodge-podge. I have installed rear-wired ferro-fluid tweets, and I will soon be trying some different 8" woofs (ceramic magnet) as a potential improvement. Still, I'd love to have some early originals like yours.

Your cabinets look quite good, and even your discolored grille cloths may be salvageable. You will not find a better bargain than the 10 mf caps recommended by Kent, but even if you do choose a different brand, they should not be too expensive. And definitely, restore or replace the pot controls. If you have further questions, there is ample help here.

post-112624-0-62393700-1375494696_thumb. post-112624-0-88858900-1375494503_thumb.

You can get a lot of good advice from the AR-3a restoration guide: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/acoustic_research/original_models_1954-1974/original_models_schematicss/restoring_the_ar-3a/

Different speakers but same series so info on cabinet restoration, grille cloth, pots vs L-pads etc is all in there.

I agree with ra.ra--restore or replace the pots. Personally, I like the L-pads. They're inexpensive and long-lasting. Madisound and Parts Express both carry the right ones and we can advise you on the correct wiring.

The Madisound ones have longer shafts but will work: http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/l-pads-attenuators/yung-lp15-3/4-15w-8-ohm-l-pad/

The PE version has a 3/8" shaft. Throw the plate & knob away http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=260-248

Kent

Archived