ADS L1590/2: Russian Matryoshka Doll - Any Help Appreciated

mccarty350

So from everything that I have heard the ADS L1590/2's use good caps that may or may not need replacement but I'd like to see the crossover. The more I read about these speakers the more they seem to be a mystery in more than one way. First off, I can't find a crossover diagram here nor at the Classic Speaker Pages.

Second off gaining access to them is a nigh impossible series of puzzles one within the other. To gain access to the binding posts one must remove a wooden back plate. Once inside this to put it in full range rather than biamp mode one must remove a plate under which sit two switches. One you shift to the right to indicate 'full range', the other switch up top is completely unlabeled and remains a mystery. The woofers are screwed in from the back thus can't be removed from the baffle. I can only assume that to gain access to the crossover that the entire binding post black plate assembly must be removed and that perhaps the crossovers are on the back of this plate.

This plate was screwed in with alan hex screws...after finding the alan wrench that fit them I removed all the screws and pulled - only to have no movement whatsoever. I even gently placed screwdrivers in multiple screw holes and gently pried -- no movement whatsoever. I am coming to believe that they are either glued in or otherwise fastened.

Has anyone managed to gain access to the crossovers in these puzzles masquerade as speakers that can tell me how to get in or am I to believe due to the dearth of information that nearly nobody has? Any assistance in gaining access without destroying these fine speakers would be of great help.

McCarty350

• 3 years later...

I've  had l810 apart to the xover and that was a multi hour project. So few if any have had issues L1590/2 as this info is not  readily available. May never find anyone that had to get in there. My tech was an ADS service center for a dozen years or more and never had to go inside a pair for any kind of service. So "If it ain't broke don't fix it". 

I've had many different ADS speakers apart.  You will need to pry the crossover out.  It won't move easily.  I use a sharpened putty knife for this.  You will likely lift some of the particle board from the cabinet.  The crossover components are very good in ADS speakers.  I've disassembled and measured many of them and have found out of specification parts to be rare.

Glitch

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed - my experience with several sets of ADS is the caps are fine.  Same goes for the Atelier line, so far at least <g>.  Satellites don't need periodic service either - same stuff.

Your mystery switch is a HF rolloff.  I believe it's -1.5dB but can't tell you where it starts offhand.

Just realized the age of the OP.  Hope you've figured it out by now.

Happy Listening,

- Jeff

Archived