Re-Packing Cabinets

troppo

Troppo again;

With a simple minded question. I'm finishing up on my 3a project and as I re-packed the cabinets, (One cabinet had 33 oz f-glas, the other 28 oz. I've evened that out.) I notice that the f-glas does not really fill, or "pack" the cabinets. How dense does this material need to be around the drivers? Is this something that I should worry about ?

There seemed to be more density when the stuffing was removed. Any comments would be appreciated.

Tr

Can you post a photo? FWIW, Lowes sells handy little packs of Johns Manville white formaldehyde-free FG. Each one is 11 oz. as weighed with a fish scale. Or you can buy a big roll and weigh it yourself (more economical). Not that FG goes bad but it can become very crumbly and compressed so I like to use new.

Carl's question is very important. AR used rock wool for a while and it is very corrosive--wreaks havoc with the pots. Any rock wool must be replaced.

As an aside, the Kempac (sp?) barrier between the stuffing and woofer has probably deteriorated but it should be replaced to keep FG out of your voice coil. You can use any acoustically transparent cloth. Crinoline works but even old grille cloth is fine.

Kent

The yellow stuff is good. Like you said, just split it up and place it evenly througout the cabinet volume. Just don't jam it in anywhere except under wires in the xover area to keep them from vibrating. 30 oz. or so of fluffy yellow stuff should fill the cabinets nicely.

One more thing.

I have identified my woofers as 1973 ceramic, fig A.3, page 27, which means that the cabinet stuffing should be 20 oz. of FG. (Yes ? No ?), Yet I pulled 28oz and 33 oz of FG from each cabinet. Cabinets have later ID numbers, consistant with the woofers.

I don't mean to be tedious but I could use some guidence on this.

Tr

Archived