Details, Details, !

troppo

Hello; Troppo Here;

Found some 3a's from '73, cabinets were rough, sanded as much as I dared but still had to patch a gouge or two and an obnoxious curved scratch on the top of one of these beauties. Wood putty said "stainable", however the putty didn't take the stain, any suggestions ?

I plan on leaving the Sprague caps (150 and the 50), and only replacing the small one. Good move ?

Did I read that there is a trick to soldering the front wired drivers, a different type of soldering technique,? I have the new AVI tweets. There will be different guage wires for the new AVI's and the original Mid driver correct ? Is it important to stay with the thin connection wire on the Mid's ?

Thanks; Tr

Touch up pens. They're basically indelible markers in wood shades, but material doesn't need to absorb them.

Next time you need to do this, look into burn in sticks. You blend them for color and use them to fill gouges and deep scratches after the wood has been finished. Wood filler never absorbs stain the same as wood.

I plan on leaving the Sprague caps (150 and the 50), and only replacing the small one. Good move ?

Did I read that there is a trick to soldering the front wired drivers, a different type of soldering technique,? I have the new AVI tweets. There will be different guage wires for the new AVI's and the original Mid driver correct ? Is it important to stay with the thin connection wire on the Mid's ?

The Sprague caps are much more likely to be OK than others.

There is no trick to soldering the AR-3a driver leads, and no "importance" attached to a particular gauge of wire.

What are "the new AVI tweets"?

Roy

The Sprague caps are much more likely to be OK than others.

There is no trick to soldering the AR-3a driver leads, and no "importance" attached to a particular gauge of wire.

What are "the new AVI tweets"?

Roy

Sorry, HiVi Q1R are the tweeters. I was dissapointed with my results on the cabinets yesterday. Should have waited a day with my question.

Thanks for the reply.

Tr

Archived