Bose 901 Continentals......

lakecat

I was looking thru this ghost town part of the forum for info on the Continentals. These are in the series II product years. I picked up a nice set last week as I really like the classic look of these speakers. I can find very little about them but I suppose they were an upgrade to the standard series II model. I have been looking for production numbers also as I am sure they are more rare than the standard models.

Any Bose fans have info on them? Pics included.. Thanks.

post-120044-0-19562100-1349582611_thumb.

post-120044-0-67817700-1349582621_thumb.

post-120044-0-37709200-1349582641_thumb.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The only real difference between the Continentals and the conventional speaker was the curved cabinet and that was a matter of styling. Functionality and performance was identical. For my purposes, the more conventional enclosure is more useful. The overhanging lip of the top of the enclosure is a convenient attachment point for the tweeter arrays, especially on the front where I mounted them on L brackets. On the back I simply drove screws that were long enough to attach to the outer lip of the top, longer than the tweeter magnets are deep.

• 4 weeks later...

Yea Dan; since I have put them on chrome Bose stands; they really look nice and have a 50's look to them.

I know they sounded the same as the other models but wondered if this was a limited edition or an upgrade with its looks? I am gonna call Bose this week and see if I can get any info on them. Would love to see how many were sold as I never see them. These are keepers as they are in gorgeous condition for being over 45 yrs old and no foam to replace..:)

• 1 month later...

I did find out these Continentals were a slight upgrade cost to the basic series II. The one major improvement that I have done recently was to have the equalizer recapped with upgraded caps. Here is what was done.....

All Electrolytic Capcitors were replaced. Power section received premium, higher value Panasonic FM Series Caps. Audio Section was fitted with ultra premium Elna Silmic II Audiophile Caps.
Input, signal path, and high frequency metal film caps, and output electrolytics were replaced with premium metalized Polypropylene Caps.

The difference this made was amazing. It woke the speakers up and the clarity and sharpness that was missing is quite noticable. The biggest difference has been the bass. Much more pronounced and forceful now where it was in the background before. It is totally different speakers now and am pleasantly surprised.

Archived