Caulking the bail on pots?

projectman

Rebuilding some old AR-4x speakers and found a wad of caulking/putty wrapped around the wire bails that hold the Aetna-Pollak pots together. It looks like the same black caulking that was used to seat the speakers to the box. Does anybody know what this is for? Are there vibration/rattling issues with these speakers? I have not seen this caulking on the bails of my other AR speakers but they are not the same model. Should I put caulking on the bails when I'm reassembling these speakers?

Rebuilding some old AR-4x speakers and found a wad of caulking/putty wrapped around the wire bails that hold the Aetna-Pollak pots together. It looks like the same black caulking that was used to seat the speakers to the box. Does anybody know what this is for? Are there vibration/rattling issues with these speakers? I have not seen this caulking on the bails of my other AR speakers but they are not the same model. Should I put caulking on the bails when I'm reassembling these speakers?

Some of the earlier speakers had the putty on the pots. AR probably realized it didn't matter at some point, and stopped the practice. I would not worry about it.

Roy

A little bit of something sticky would help prevent the pots from rotating if their retaining collets ever work loose.

I've never seen that happen, with or without a strip of putty stuck to the back of the pot. I think AR put it there for vibration, and later found it wasn't necessary.

Roy

Archived