AR 4 series

ironlake

ligs is correct to cite the 4-series tweeter revisions which, not unlike the evolution of the 2-series and the 3-series, are the primary reasons for the changes in model number.

Am not sure which "ads" ironlake refers to, but there were several other changes which have been rather well documented on these pages. I believe all of the various woofers may have had had similar performance qualities, but at the least there were different magnet sizes, cone types, and basket structures. All three "4" models typically had a #5 coil, although I do have a very early pair of AR-4's with #4 coils. Also, many of the woofers in the later 4xa speakers had foam surrounds when they became the norm to replace the fabric surrounds of earlier years.

It was summarized on another very recent post (with a similar title) that each model had different values for their single capacitor, and also that the 4xa had a tweeter level switch in place of the normal A-P pot. Further, I think there is a member here (johnie-o, maybe?) who conducted research on the varying amounts and type(s) of fiber stuffing. Lastly, many, if not most, of the later 4xa's were clad in the dreaded vinyl in lieu of real walnut veneer.

The tweeter revision from the 4x to the 4xa was touted as producing "improved treble response and dispersion characteristics", and it can be assumed that AR engineers had a similar rationale for upgrading the AR-4 to the 4x, back in 1965 or so. Nonetheless, after 40 or 45 years of use, including possible maintenance modifications (i.e. re-cap, etc.), even matched pairs of the same speaker model can be expected to have minor differences in sonic characteristics.

I never really know how to describe my own - - much less interpret other people's - - verbal descriptions of sound qualities, such as "smooth". Still, I think it can be expected, and you should be pleased, that your ears tell you that your 4x's and your 3a's do not have the same performance characteristics. It tells me that both your ears and your speakers are performing mostly as they were meant to be.

Not having ever listened to the AR-4xa, I can only offer one non-scientific and subjectively personal comment regarding my own AR-4's versus the AR-4x's, which sit on top of each other in my living room. Both pairs have recently been completely restored with all original parts (except for new poly caps, Solen and Erse), and while I may be able to detect more far-reaching high frequencies coming from the 4x's, I find that the 4's seem to have a more developed full spectrum thru the mid-range frequencies, which I happen to like with my preference for jazz music. If someone else were to make the same comparison, it is likely that a different opinion would result.

Note: just a reminder - - - the 3-1/2" tweeter in the AR-4, also used as the tweet in the first version of the AR-2x, was used in far more AR speakers as the mid-range driver of the AR-2ax.

I don't know if anyone has seen this graph published in Electronics World(date unknown) from Hirsch-Houck Labs. The title of the article is: What should one pay for a Hi-Fi speaker system.

Solid line: AR-3a Dotted line: AR4X

Moderator: please move it where it belongs if not here!

post-119422-0-06089000-1347302598_thumb.

At that time of the article, the prices were $250(AR3a), $175(AR5), $128(AR2ax) and $63(AR4X). The article from Electronics World is trying to show there is some kind of cost/performance relationship within the AR product line. The performance includes the bass extension and distortion, smoothness, among many other factors.

Archived