AR-12 cosmetic variation

nullius

I think enlisting some of the more discerning eyes in this forum would be useful in my little dilemma, so here goes:

I'm a poor grad student in the market for some vintage speakers and it so happens that I came across someone letting these AR-12's go for $150:

YwmuB.jpg

Strangely, the seller calls these "AR-12EC's". I can't get anything on what the significance is of the "EC" designation, but that isn't bothering me as much as how strikingly different they appear to these AR-12's going for $60 in an area not local to me:

5NS5B.jpg

Notice the ribbed woofer cone, the differently colored tweeter, and the divergent structure of the mid. Are these differences inconsequentially cosmetic? Are they signs that the pair above has been gutted and rebuilt? Should I be concerned at all? I appreciate your input!

Your "EC" version appears to have a Radio Shack tweeter.

The lower photo is from a current Craigslist ad in Douglassville, PA, and shows an AR-12 system with original drivers - the original black foam appliqué used with the tweeter was prone to drying out, and has probably worn off; although the midrange driver still has some of its decorative foam showing.

$150 is a lot of money for the non-original speakers in their present condition, but $60 for the Craigslist pair isn't bad! :)

Ah, it looks like the wait continues then. Thanks for the rapid feedback.

I'm still a little bit broken-hearted from the other day. Had a pair of AR-93q's come rolling in the Goodwill store priced at $7 each. Just as I was rolling them over to check their condition the regular store vulture (who knew nothing about speakers) came over and loudly claimed them without even checking to see what they were. Looking back on it, as to why I immediately didn't get confrontational, I don't know! Sure has made me lose sleep though.

Archived