cone compliance

ironlake

If the stiffiness of the cones back and forth movement is mainley controlled by the spyder, does one thin coat on the cloth surround make that much difference in resonance. I am trying to determine if I need to change to the new repro speakers from vintage ar on my 4x speakers as I put a very thing coat on the surrounds of these of simply speakers dope? thanks in advance for help.

The spider and the surround work together to determine compliance, and are equally important.

There are programs, such as Woofer Tester software, which can be used to measure resonance. I used Woofer Tester 2 software to measure several woofers treated with the Simply Speakers stuff. The results were not good.

Roy

In your opinion would i get original response if I change the speakers to foam surrounds? thanks

The response would change, but it is hard to say how much. You said you put one light coat on your surrounds...maybe they are still within spec. There is no way of knowing without measurements, but it is probably not worth the expense and effort to replace the surrounds at this point. If your 4x's sound good it may be better to leave them be. It may be more productive and interesting to find another pair of 4x's, or used original 4 x woofers, to compare them with.

Roy

Yes, I used my finger to apply the foam restorer so the coating would be as thin as possible. The surrounds feel just as soft as they did before I sealed them. I do not get the slow finger test yet so will coat the dust caps to see if it works as great as it did on my 3a;s.

I do not get the slow finger test yet so will coat the dust caps to see if it works as great as it did on my 3a;s.

Many 4x's cannot be sealed enough in the conventional way to produce the "slow woofer return" when pushed inward. This version of the 4x has an apparently deliberate small leak through the magnet assembly past a non-treated cloth dust cap. Coating the dust cap in this case may change the woofer's behavior, but it won't be consistent with the original design.

Roy

Archived