AR-2ax with replacement woofer

BassoRider

Greetings from Stockholm, Sweden!

I haven't posted here in many years (but lurking forever!). Now I have found my second pair of AR-2ax speakers. This pair seems to be of an early model, S/N AX 82520 and AX 82522 in "unfinished pine". Both speakers work and sound good, even the pots work after some exercise.

One speaker comes with an original woofer with a cloth surround and a foam damping ring on the cone. The other woofer is a replacement. Same dimensions, screw holes and (maybe) materials as in my circa 1974 2ax's, but looks more "modern". And the surrounds go under the cone, not over. The dust cap is dome-shaped.

Could this be an original replacement AR woofer of a later vintage?

The woofer sits in massive amounts of caulk, and I'm a bit hesitant in removing it. Any information appreciated before I proceed!

/BassoRider

post-102580-0-68218800-1344501090_thumb.

post-102580-0-10120200-1344501104_thumb.

post-102580-0-37904600-1344501113_thumb.

Thanks, Pat! It could be an original replacement part, that's good news.

Well, I have to dig it out and investigate. Wont have time until the end of August, though. I'll probably have some questions about suitable material for a reduction ring so the woofer can be seated properly. And maybe the crossover needs to be tweaked because of the woofer?

If all goes well I can clean the pots and maybe replace the two capacitors. But the speakers sound fine as they are.

Here are pictures of the other speaker. I'm a bit suspicious of the black doping used on the surrounds. Could they look like that from the factory? And the damping ring needs to be replaced. The linen fronts and AR badges are ok. But yes, the cabinets will need some work... :)

/BassoRider

post-102580-0-38336300-1344577224_thumb.

post-102580-0-48065600-1344577238_thumb.

post-102580-0-81589900-1344578084_thumb.

Thanks, Pat! It could be an original replacement part, that's good news.

Well, I have to dig it out and investigate. Wont have time until the end of August, though. I'll probably have some questions about suitable material for a reduction ring so the woofer can be seated properly. And maybe the crossover needs to be tweaked because of the woofer?

If all goes well I can clean the pots and maybe replace the two capacitors. But the speakers sound fine as they are.

Here are pictures of the other speaker. I'm a bit suspicious of the black doping used on the surrounds. Could they look like that from the factory? And the damping ring needs to be replaced. The linen fronts and AR badges are ok. But yes, the cabinets will need some work... :)

/BassoRider

The replacement woofer appears to be an early 80's AR 10inch woofer. It should work satisfactorily, but will be different than the original cloth surround woofer.

Whatever has been applied to the cloth surround of your older woofer is not original, and has likely compromised compliance to some degree.

Roy

Hi, Roy! I'm very happy if it's an AR woofer, I'd be hard pressed to find a more suitable replacement. The speakers do sound good, tried them with different types of music, and loud. No issues whatsoever. You know they're good when they make you want to pull out your favorite albums! :) I will definitely give them the "basic maintenance" when I find the time.

Did AR make an adapter or reduction ring so customers could fit replacement woofers with a smaller diameter? Would plywood do?

Hi there, Dan! Thanks! The wonders of auto-focus and a ten dollar thrift-store Olympus! :)

Hi, Roy! I'm very happy if it's an AR woofer, I'd be hard pressed to find a more suitable replacement. The speakers do sound good, tried them with different types of music, and loud. No issues whatsoever. You know they're good when they make you want to pull out your favorite albums! :) I will definitely give them the "basic maintenance" when I find the time.

Did AR make an adapter or reduction ring so customers could fit replacement woofers with a smaller diameter? Would plywood do?

Yes, AR did make an adapter ring for the smaller woofer frame. Plywood or masonite works well.

Roy

The replacement woofer appears to be an early 80's AR 10inch woofer. It should work satisfactorily, but will be different than the original cloth surround woofer.

Whatever has been applied to the cloth surround of your older woofer is not original, and has likely compromised compliance to some degree.

Roy

Yes, AR did make an adapter ring for the smaller woofer frame. Plywood or masonite works well.

Roy

Yes, I think 5mm plywood should suffice and get it level with the other woofer. Not much I can do about cleaning the black varnish from the original woofer, I guess. The cloth is probably too brittle.

/BassoRider

Hi there

I do not have any photos or written information on the woofer adapters.

I do have AR-2X's that have the steel framed woofers and an adapter to fit it to the previously alnico aluminum framed holes.

They may have had a few extra cabinets pre-made with the larger bolt pattern and rather than discard them, used the adapters.

Will try to take a photo or two soon and post them here.

Thanks, Dan! That would be kind, pictures will be useful. I guess the adapter is screwed into the six original holes (with some caulk under it? or were the adapters glued?), and the woofer's four screws goes into the ring with caulk in between. Maybe the six adapter screws need to be counter-sunk for the woofer to fit.

As it is now, the four screws are slanted 45 degrees.

/BassoRider

Archived