2ax Woofer Coating.

circlework

Hi all,

I'm currently into a refoam of my 2ax ceramic magneted woofers using the filled fillet kit from Msound.

The cones are in reasonable condition, from what I can see.

I'd like to know the latest thinking on using the adhesive in watered down form as a cone coating.

Good move, or bad move?

Thanks,

Daryl.

There is quite a thread on AK about the Realistic Mach 1 speakers. One of the upgrades recommended is that the 15" cone be treated with crazy glue to prevent it from distorting. Some claim that they can get that driver down another 10 hertz in the range of 20 with the mods. Don't quote me, I grabbing this from memory. I think the mod package recommended was by the AK member VideoLady. I have a pair in the basement that with some time I will do all the mods. Most might not give the Mach 1 a lot of respect but there are many converts in that thread. I haven't owned anything with horns so that is another reason I want to play with them.

Hi all,

I'm currently into a refoam of my 2ax ceramic magneted woofers using the filled fillet kit from Msound.

I'd like to know the latest thinking on using the adhesive in watered down form as a cone coating.

Good move, or bad move?

Thanks,

Daryl.

Daryl,

There is no reason to do so...

Roy

Hi all,

Good move, or bad move?

Thanks,

Daryl.

Hi Daryl

If you add any amount of any type of coating to the cone,surround, you will change it's weight and likely it's compliance.

Once you add something to it you would have to live with the results, for better or worse.

There have been photos of crisscross stripes and rings of some compound at the factories of several manufactures for cone control.

This was done when newly made to tune them, possibly to reduce, "cone cry".

Without the testing equipment to determine what if anything changed, is that a positive or negative change.

I have read here over the years of one using watered down glues, etc, and I just cringed at that thought.

Years ago I met a man who used clear silicone to try to patch rotten surrounds. Yuch

Thanks to all for your replies.

Seems you all have come to the same conclusion, just some took longer than others. ^_^

So, no coating. I want to restore them, not change them.

Daryl.

Hi Vern,

Are you refering to doping the cloth surround, or coating the cone? If the latter, I'll have to do a lot more reading, as I wasn't aware that AR coated their cones in the classic series.

Thanks,

Daryl.

Hi Vern,

Are you refering to doping the cloth surround, or coating the cone? If the latter, I'll have to do a lot more reading, as I wasn't aware that AR coated their cones in the classic series.

Thanks,

Daryl.

Daryl,

Since you are re-foaming, the re-sealing of cloth surrounds is not an issue of concern for you. (Incidentally, AR 10 and 12 inch cloth surrounds seldom need re-sealing.) When re-sealing of cloth surrounds is required, the appropriate butyl compound is now available.

AR woofers were carefully designed to have certain characteristics, so modifying them will not likely produce a positive outcome. OTOH, referring to the post above...I have repaired a few Radio Shack/Realistic "Mach One" specimens along the way, and cannot think of a reason not to try to improve them. :rolleyes: There is little about those speakers I would be concerned about compromising with such experimentation. They are good "project" speakers.

Roy

Hi Daryl

I did leave out one re-coating instance.

Both AR and KLH's earliest woofers, those only with the cloth surrounds, can be gently re-coated with their recommended sealants, if they are very porous and need it, that is.

Hi Daryl

The cloth surrounds and cloth dust domes used with the earliest woofers sometimes need to be re-touched with sealant.

This not a common problem, but KLH had issued an advisory to their dealer/warantee depots regarding woofer re-sealing application decades ago, including providing them with the compound and brushes.

I do have any information that AR had suggested to their warantee depots the same procedure.

I certainly was not suggesting just coating any woofer's surround, particularly not the foam ones, as any compound or object added to the cone will alter it's performance.

As I mentioned earlier I have read that diluted white glues, etc, have been used to coat foam surrounds.

This is a very bad idea as it stiffens the surround foam.

Using the wrong solution can disolve the foam surrounds as well.

Daryl,

Since you are re-foaming, the re-sealing of cloth surrounds is not an issue of concern for you. (Incidentally, AR 10 and 12 inch cloth surrounds seldom need re-sealing.) When re-sealing of cloth surrounds is required, the appropriate butyl compound is now available.

AR woofers were carefully designed to have certain characteristics, so modifying them will not likely produce a positive outcome. OTOH, referring to the post above...I have repaired a few Radio Shack/Realistic "Mach One" specimens along the way, and cannot think of a reason not to try to improve them. :rolleyes: There is little about those speakers I would be concerned about compromising with such experimentation. They are good "project" speakers.

Roy

Thanks Roy.

As I said, I will not be coating the woofer cone. After all, preserving those characteristics you refer to are what this restoration is all about. My last question was merely academic in my quest for knowledge of the AR classics.

After reading the Mach1 tier 1 mods, you are probably correct in regard to their 'project' ability. Although the knowledge gained would be immense, I'd much rather use my rescourses on a pair of early 3a's ... if I can find any over here, that is.

Hi Daryl

The cloth surrounds and cloth dust domes used with the earliest woofers sometimes need to be re-touched with sealant.

This not a common problem, but KLH had issued an advisory to their dealer/warantee depots regarding woofer re-sealing application decades ago, including providing them with the compound and brushes.

I do have any information that AR had suggested to their warantee depots the same procedure.

I certainly was not suggesting just coating any woofer's surround, particularly not the foam ones, as any compound or object added to the cone will alter it's performance.

As I mentioned earlier I have read that diluted white glues, etc, have been used to coat foam surrounds.

This is a very bad idea as it stiffens the surround foam.

Using the wrong solution can disolve the foam surrounds as well.

Thanks Vern.

Yes, I gathered that you weren't advocating that I coat the foams.

Interesting ... early cloth domes sometimes needed resealing ... every time I log on in here, I learn!

Daryl.

Interesting ... early cloth domes sometimes needed resealing ... every time I log on in here, I learn!

Daryl.

Domes do not need to be re-treated. There is also no need to worry about what is used if a dome is re-treated, as long as it is not applied in heavy amounts.

Roy

Archived