AR570 Won't turn on

souk1501

This morning, I took out my pair of AR570 Powered Partners from a box after probably about 10 years of non-use. It worked for about 10 minutes then one of them lost power and can not be turned on again. Flipping the power switch have no response what so ever. Does anyone have any experience with this problem on this speaker? Thank you in advance for any help.

I had a pair purchased 2nd hand and one speaker did not work. Turned out to be a bad RCA connector. Simple. Of course your problem could be different. btw--the woofers will definitely need to be refoamed.

This thread tells the story and also has a link to the schematic: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=4373&hl=%2Bpowered+%2Bpartners&fromsearch=1

Kent

Thanks Kent. Surprisingly, the woofer of my working one still sounds good with no sign of dry rot. I did read your other thread before I started this one. My case seems to be more severe as I can't even get the power light to turn on. Hopefully I would be able to figure out what's wrong. My guess is something with the power module.

• 2 weeks later...

I have disassembled mine in order to drill some custom mounting holes thru the enclosure without drilling wires or circuitry. Thats when i discovered the fuse on the main board :) unfortunately I was careless and actually dropped one off of the work table while it was hanging in pieces and damaged something on the board. Now all it does is blow fuses, currently bidding on replacement 570 on Ebay. Just wondering if you knew about the internal fuse, take that puppy apart........just dont drop it :(

• 3 weeks later...

I think they may just be stuck. There may be a gasket IIRC. Just pry them open. Here is a photo of the case open. I no longer have these and am relying on memory. Good luck.

Kent

post-101828-0-14959600-1337867502_thumb.

I'm sorry I no longer have mine. Maybe someone else can chime in. According to the photos I have there were 8 hex-socket head machine screws on the back and I'm pretty sure all 8 have to be removed, but maybe not. The 4 in the middle are for attaching the "clamp" so the speakers can be mounted on a pole. What about the knobs on front? Do they pull off?

Maybe search "powered partners" in the AR forum, find members who have worked on them and send PMs.

Here is a manual for the similar Advent 570 http://www.digitalhy...V570_Manual.pdf These are also known as Recoton AV570. All very similar. According to the Advent manual they have removable grilles. I don't recall whether the AR grilles snap off but maybe try (gently) and see if they snap off.

I seem to recall seeing an exploded diagram recently. May have been on a Sears parts site--but I can't find it.

Kent

edit: Found it. Don't know how helpful it is though: http://www.searspart...6&prst=&shdMod=

post-101828-0-94277000-1337922371_thumb.

Thanks a bunch Kent. I have looked at the diagrams and photos. The knobs and controls appear attached to the fronts. I removed all eight cap screws. I can pry the shorter sides up enough to get a small pry bar in but it then feels like I'm about to crack the plastic surround. Already dinged up the cast metal housing.

sorry you are having such trouble. Look at the photo in post #6. That whitish tube in the middle of the long side is an insulator for a long machine screw IIRC. Other than that, I don't recall anything holding the long sides, except glue or gummy gasket stuff. Definitely be careful about cracking 30-yr-old plastic but I wonder if you ran a mat knife or x-acto knife along that seam, if it would loosen it a bit. Attached is a close-up of a corner. You may be able to see there is, I think, a groove in the housing with some sort of rubber gasket in there. You can also see that the front plastic part has brass inserts for the machine screws. You mentioned one of the screws keeps turning--probably the insert has come loose.

Kent

post-101828-0-34158100-1337973149_thumb.

Great!

The score:

Bitman 1

Forces of Evil 0

Sorry I had forgotten about those 2 screws.

Kent

a belated welcome!

Now that they are open, you'll want to re-foam the woofers. I got the kits for my PPs (and ALL my refoam jobs) from M-Sound. Here is his ebay page: http://stores.ebay.c...sid=p4340.l2563

And here is his website, where you'll find very detailed step-by-step instructions: http://www.citlink.net/~msound/refoam/

Be sure to follow Powder70's advice about the fuses. If I were doing this today, and keeping them, I'd probably replace all the capacitors.

Kent

post-101828-0-65205200-1338057854_thumb.

Archived