Newbie here - with bakelite KLH speaker

Morg308

I recently bought a model 21 - still being shipped, but I grew up during the sixties and remember just how good a table radio can be. I also picked up a cool speaker for it - but have not been able to find any information on it here. Can you guys identify it? Looks like it was designed to mount on a wall bracket, thus the screws on the sides. Possibly designed for outdoors? Any info would be great. I remember KLH from my teens and am getting back into 'vintage' audio. Hah. Thanks in advance, - Morg

561691443_tp.jpg

561691485_tp.jpg

561691522_tp.jpg

561691500_tp.jpg

Hi Morg and welcome to the CSP.

The KLH Twenty-One is a great radio. There were actually FIVE radios, all called the Twenty-One (and always spelled out). The original had a beige vinyl grille, then the 21/II had a black cloth grille. Later followed the 21-FM, 21-AM/FM and 21-CL, all with wood grain vinyl cabinets and now-deteriorated foam grilles.

Your extra speaker isn't bakelite--it's vinyl over fiberboard. In fact, your vinyl is shrinking. It's from a KLH Model Eleven "suitcase" stereo. It uses exactly the same 4" driver as your 21 and will make a perfect extension speaker.

Below are an ad for the suitcase stereo and a photo of 4 of the 21s. Top to bottom: Original, 21/II, 21-FM and 21-CL. The AM/FM is missing but looks just like the FM.

Kent

post-101828-0-79641200-1334553506_thumb.

post-101828-0-63837800-1334554413_thumb.

Thanks - I was wondering if it were something like that actually. I saw the problem with the vinyl on top - I'm surpised that it's fiberboard and not some sort of fiberglass though being the shape it is. If it were fiberglass or bakelite I think I'd probably strip the vinyl, give it a light sanding and seal it - 'embrace' the natural look. It reminded me of original AR15 '601' handguards. I'll get it this weekend - guess we'll see. I should have the radio (original 21in very nice condition) later this week. I guess it's a sign of age that I spent as much on these two things as I would have on a new 'boombox' stereo at WallyWorld. LOL. Thanks for all the help. - Morg

They're sturdy so I think you should be OK with stripping etc. There may be some fiberglass or some sort of resin--I don't remember. Good luck.

Kent

Archived