serial number of ar speakers

ironlake

This does not answer your question at all, since I do not have an answer, but I do know that the production date of my 3as is stamped on the back of each woofer. Mine are from July and August of 1969, for example. I like to imagine that the fellows who built my speakers were reading newspaper stories about moon landings and Woodstocks while on their lunch breaks.

My 3a's have numbers 3a29404 and 3a37814. any idea of model years for these? thanks

Based on some data we collected when putting the 3a restoration guide together, your 29404 3a was manufactured in the latter half of 1969 and 37814 in mid 1970. As mentioned above, the driver magnets often have dates stamped on them.

Roy

• 1 month later...

Interesting stuff on AR-3a serial numbers!

I won't give you my biological history, only a bit of my beloved AR-3a's. I bought them originally in 1969, I believe. I could pull out the original invoices, but I've since moved down from the bush of Alaska, Bristol Bay, where I had them shipped into. That was after almost 30 years there!

They've been loyal producers of all my vinyl through the AR-amp and turntable of that era. I don't have these two components anymore, but I wish I did!

I guess I will accept that the surrounds and pots probably need help, but my now 72 year old ears say, Naaaaaaaaaay, they're fine! [smile] So okay, you've given me the courage to open them up and see what they look like. I have downloaded the AR-3a restoration from this site and while it seems fairly easy, I'd prefer to let someone more expert than myself do it. Do you know any restoration businesses that would KNOW AND APPRECIATE WHAT THEY ARE WORKING WITH HERE?

Until I saw some on this site that were earlier, I had yet to read anyone who had any lower than mine, AR-3a numbers 21010 and 21959.

If anyone knows the date of manufacture on these, I'd certainly appreciate knowing. My original invoices would probably tell me that, but I'm relatively certain it'd be in 1968 or abouts.

Enough...love talking about AR speakers and gear! Just am now setting up a second generation of AR stuff...they'll have to shine to convince me they can outdo these beloved members of my family! [AR-9Ls--completely gone through and restored...beautiful}

Interesting stuff on AR-3a serial numbers!

Until I saw some on this site that were earlier, I had yet to read anyone who had any lower than mine, AR-3a numbers 21010 and 21959.

If anyone knows the date of manufacture on these, I'd certainly appreciate knowing. My original invoices would probably tell me that, but I'm relatively certain it'd be in 1968 or abouts.

Our data would place the date of manufacture in early to mid 1969...

Roy

Archived