Tweeter issue

HarryM

My tweeters slur s's really bad.Both the ar-8's and ar-91's and both speakers of both pairs.The top end of both pairs is not clean sounding.I'm running them on separate amps and useing the Marantz as the preamp.Neither pair has been recaped.I can get rid of most of it on the eq at the mid treble range which on my eq says "mid 8000".Changing the high treble range doesn't change it at all.With both sets of speakers set at normal it's the least noticeable.If I set them to any of the minus settings it becomes way more noticeable.Does this seem like a cap issue or could it be something else.The amps are both hafler dh 200's but one was never used. I checked for DC on both,the used one has a bit but is equal from left to right and the unused one has non.Could it be the marantz?I don't mind recapping them.I'm just not sure if thats the problem or if I should be looking else where.I haven't had alot of listen time with either pairs so it's taken a bit to figure out what wasn't sounding right.Any help is welcome.Thanks.

Another update,Hooked up the recapped 91 and the not recapped 91.Noticeable improvement but still there.I then started changing everything else.Switched from the marantz to a kenwood basic c1 preamp,much more noticeable.I then switched to cd from vinyl,no improvement.I then went back to the marantz with no amps and no eq,still there but better.If I set the recapped 91 on -6 for the highs it helps alot but the noise is still there.Could this be a power supply problem.I haven't tried the 8 yet because I'm haveing a hard time convincing myself to put the insulation back in.LOL

Oldarnut thanks for replying.I thought the same thing but I changed everything out.I took the haflers right out and just had the marantz,I also took the marantz out and ran the amps through the kenwood preamp and that made it worse.I took out the turn table and cd player and just used the marantz.I changed the speakers out.I also talked to a guy that suggested rca cables so I took them out.I think it's a power supply problem.When I get a chance I'm going to pick up a power conditioner and try that.Another thing that makes me think it's power supply is,I had a tecnics system a few years ago that was in perfect working order,the previous owner was very picky about it.It never sounded good or right once I got it home.It always seemed dirty and not clear sounding.I got so sick of it I gave it to my brother,it soundes great in his drive shed.At the time I thought it was the room that just didn't work but I didn't know then what I know now and I didn't know what to listen for.Thanks to this forum and a couple of others I now have a better idea and this time I want to fix the problem.I'll post on if the power conditioner fixes the problem or not for others who may be haveing the same problems.

I'll try and explain,it is most noticeable when a singer sings a word that ends in "s" or certain symbols.It was very loud,sharp and to long.It didn't belong.It's not at a very high frequency range so I knew it wasn't a blown tweeter that was distorting although it is distortion.The sound level when I would listen wasn't steady,which is why I recapped the 91's.Also it wasn't a clear clean sound when it should have been.It sounded noisey.I don't know how to explain it well but if you would've heard it you would know what I ment.LOL.Like my dad always said to me"your about as clear as mud".This time it's me and the music.Anyway,I picked up a power conditioner and it cured about 95% to 98% of the noise and would highly recommend one of these to everybody.The difference is huge.The music is smoother and clearer and cleaner.I didn't go out and buy a $2000 one.I lucked out at a local music store that had an ART PS4x4 for $109 canadian.It's on sale right now on the internet for $99 normaly $149.

• 7 years later...

I know this is a very old post, I have just come across it while trawling back through some fascinating historical postings.

I am wondering, should the ac power conditioner aspect be of even more importance in these modern times ?

It is now a more common practice to use powerline adapters to transmit signals/data on the ac line of our domestic electric supply. This for our internet enabled devices, T.V's and the like.

We do this ourselves in our own homes, but would/could the supply already be compromised in this manner before it reaches our homes ?