dynaco A35 vs A25 vs AR2ax

craig

Hi i'm curious for some feedback on the differences on these models. First question when comparing the dynaco A25s with the AR2ax is it safe to say the dynacos have a tighter bass and the Ar's have a slightly deeper bass ? Only asking because looking at the A25 driver its hard to imagine the AR's driver could be tighter. Just on looks alone. I have not re foamed my AR2ax so its hard for me to make a fair judgement. Second question, i was reading an article about the A35's and i came across this, "The A-35 is a sonic refinement of the A-25 in a slightly larger, more complex cabinet with a different crossover for a subtly smoother, wider range, and more articulate sound. Though on first listen some will believe that the A-25 has more bass, extended listening will reveal the authenticity of the A-35's tighter, better defined and extended low end. Perceptibly smoother mid-range transition yields a unified clear imaging that is the key to the A-35's resolution of detail. Audio magazine described the A-35 as "unobtrusive". It is a most appropriate accolade. Many consider it to be the most accurate Dynaco speaker".

Is this true ?

If so would the dynaco A35s also have a tighter deeper bass then the AR2ax ? Just very curious what you guys think ...... thanks

• 2 weeks later...

What you posted sounds like a quotation of Dynaco's old advertising hype as presented on Greg Dunn's Dynaco speaker site. It's a good site, and a great place to start researching Dynacos. I've had all three speakers here, and in my experience, the A-35 sounds a tiny bit more relaxed than the A-25, with maybe a touch deeper bass, but their sonic character is very similar. The AR-2ax is a "fuller" sounding speaker, with probably the deepest bass, and a slightly "rounder" more liquid sound. I'd say your characterization is right: the AR-2ax's bass is deeper than that of the Dynaco A-25, while the A-25's bass is a touch tighter. But I'd say the AR's is also a little deeper (and a touch less tight) relative to the A-35 as well. Here's a review I wrote of the AR-2ax where I compare it to the A-25. I wrote it a few years ago, but I still think it's accurate. I could live with any of the three: Dynaco A-25s, A-35s, or AR-2axs. Hope this helps!

http://www.epinions.com/content_343714336388

Your posts bring back good memories: In 1970, I spent several hours comparing the 2aX and A-25 with the cooperation of a helpful (and tolerant) salesman at Lafayette Radio in Manhattan. I preferred (and bought) the A-25s and was very happy with them. When the A-35 was introduced a couple of years later, I bought those, too. Dynaco's description was accurate: the A-35 sounds very similar, just a bit smoother.

Archived