AR9 tweeters and mids

Mach3

So given the absolute scarcity of original equipment tweeters and mid-range domes available for the AR-9 (and a host of other classic AR speakers) - and given the fact that these marvelous units cannot be rebuilt (in fact as I learned on this forum it was tough enough for AR to build them originally). Add to this that the units available on fleabay are themselves at least 30 years old - and cannot be "top notch". I have therefore begun looking for new replacement drivers.

Found two;

One is on ABtech - these folks were - at least at sometime in the past actually authorized rebuilders of AR drivers. Rumor and innuendo seems to indicate that their current production is both pricey and leaves much to be desired in terms of performance. I did buy an ABTech mid-range dome for my Nines and it was just a tad screechy - not terrible but not smooth either. I have since replaced that ABTech unit with an OEM driver cannablized from an AR-91.

I also found a place called "Simply Speakers" which advertises that they sell Woofers, tweeters and mid-range domes for the AR series of speakers. They actually state that their drivers are AR OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer). Has anybody bought a tweeter or mid-range from these folks? If so what did you think of the sound? These drivers do "Look" like OEM devices - but looks are often misleading.

I tried the HiVi QR1 tweeter - with the modification of the coil in parallel - and it was not very pleasant sounding - to say the least. In fact it sounded exactly like what it is - a $23 tweeter from Madisound (there is some guy trying to sell a pair of these for $70 on this forum's for sale board. What is this fellow thinking?).

Any information would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Full agreement with michiganpat - the drivers used with the AR-9 are quite robust, and seem to be aging well, so there's no real reason not to stick with an authentic vintage part.

Also, the AR-90 employed the same upper-range drivers as the 9, which nicely expands the universe of potential replacement parts.

Having a spare tweeter or upper mid around is cheap enough, and excellent insurance.

Full agreement with michiganpat - the drivers used with the AR-9 are quite robust, and seem to be aging well, so there's no real reason not to stick with an authentic vintage part.

Also, the AR-90 employed the same upper-range drivers as the 9, which nicely expands the universe of potential replacement parts.

Having a spare tweeter or upper mid around is cheap enough, and excellent insurance.

and I believe the 91,92, and 58S as far as sharing the mid & tweet....

Yes, the 58s/91 dome mid will work in the 9 as an UMD, but my understanding is that they are slightly different drivers (with different p/n's, I believe, too) than the original 9's 1 1/2" dome. The 58s/91 had a w-m x-o of 700 Hz, so their dome mids had a very slightly lower resonance than the 9's 1 1/2-incher, whch crossed over at 1200 Hz.

So the drivers are compatible as replacements in one direction--91's can be used in 9's-- but not the other way around. I think Tom Tyson knows the construction details of the subtle differences in the two drivers.

Also, isn't the 92 an 8-ohm system, like the 5 was to the 3a? Don't remember, but could be. If yes, the 91/92's 1 1/2-inch drivers would have different impedances.

Steve F.

I don't have a p/n for the AR-91 or 58S

The part number for the AR-91 mid-range is 200032. The same unit was also used in the AR-915, AR-92 and AR-925.

The part number for the AR-58s mid-range is, to the best of my knowledge, 200044.

Tom Tyson's description of the difference between the 200028 and 200032 drivers may be found quoted in the following post: http://www.classicsp...indpost&p=86205

Robert_S

Archived