AR-14's

HarryM

I don,t get on this site much but when I do it amazes me how much some of you guys know about AR's.The only thing I know about speakers is hook up the 2 wires and turn the stereo on and if I hear music I did good.Ok on to my questions I have a pair of AR 91's that need work that I hope to get to over the winter but I came across a pair of AR 14's.The guy says they are rough and need to be rebuilt.Are they worth rebuilding if I get them for about $50 and would they work well with my AR 91's.I tried doing a search on the AR 14's but nothing came up.Anything anybody can tell me is greatly appreciated. Thanks,Harry.

The AR-14 was introduced around 1976 in the second wave of ADD speakers, right after the 10 Pi, 11 and MST-1.

It was a 10", 2-way speaker, with a cabinet the same size as the 12" AR-11, to lower the system resonance a bit and give it (and the AR-12) slightly lower bass extension than the 5 and 2ax.

Early 14's used a 1" Peerless tweeter. Later 14's used an AR-developed and -built tweeter. The x-o frequency was 1300Hz.

The 14 was characterized by a wonderfully natural, uncolored sound, with an open, detailed nature, strong highs but never harsh, and a solid bass end--although not as deep as the Large Advent, it's main marketplace rival.

It's original list price was $140 ea, an excellent value. The 14 was not the smash sales success that AR hoped, and that is somewhat surprising. Perhaps AR's decades-long marketing mistreatment of its dealers were too much to overcome in a short time.

But considered just as a speaker unto itself, yes the 14 is well worth restoring.

Steve F.

Thanks Steve,since you are very knowledgable about these speakers I'm going to buy them if he hasn't sold them yet.Are these considered floor speakers or a bookshelf speaker just so I know how to set the room up after I get all the AR's finished.Should I stack them on top of the 91's or do the 91's in the front and the 14's in the back.I'm getting excited now,I was thinking they may be duds that nobody wanted so I was kind of putting them out of my mind.Are they 4 ohms like the 91's and if not will it matter.I'll be hooking them up to a Sony DN610 7.1,it's 105 watts per channel but I don't know the rms watts. Thanks again,Harry.

These are considered "bookshelf" speakers, although pretty big bookshelf speakers by today's standards. Most people use the 3a-2ax-11-10 pi-14-12 etc on stands, anywhere from 10-15" tall. Get the tweeters up to about seated ear level (around 40" plus/minus) and you'll be good.

They are 8 ohm speakers, a pretty 'easy' load for any decent amp to drive. There is lit on them in the library section of the site:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/acoustic_research/add_series_1975-1978/add_series_brochures/ar-14_brochure/

Steve F.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update,I did buy the speakers and they are rough.One tweeter works and the woofers need help,the one woofer is almost not there.Both woofers do produce sound and the good one may just need to be refoamed.The cabinets need major re finishing,there are big chips out of them but hopefully over the winter I can get them fixed up.

I own a pair of 14's. I bought them new in 1979, and I still believe that there are few 2-way speakers out there with a better overall sound. I presently use them as the center and rear speakers in a 6.1 system consisting of restored AR-11 mains and restored AR-15 surrounds.

eBay is a good source for parts, but there is no guarantee that they will be working properly when you get them. I've been successful about 75% of the time. and I've had far better luck with woofers than tweeters.

The following AR speakers share the same woofer model number as the 14's: 2ax, 8 & 12 (also later versions of the 5 and LST 2)

The following AR speakers share the same tweeter model number as the 14's: 15, 28s, & 48s

Hope this helps.

Truly original 8's did not use the same 10" woofer as the 2ax--the 8's woofer was a lower resonance and given the rock-and-roll goal of the 8, the other T-S parameters were likely different as well.

As time has passed, I think all AR 10-inchers are now a generic, common replacement unit, which is probably just fine.

Steve F.

I've been looking for donor speakers but I only found a pair of 8's so far but one of the woofers is no good and he wants $150 for them.I did find a pair of 3a's improved with a marantz reciever for $550 that need a mid I think and new foam on the woofers and a pair of 5's the guys says are perfect that have been refoamed for $450.I've been trying to find out if I can recone my woofer.Does anybody know if the cones are still around and where I could get one or am I better off buying a correct replacement instead.I have found them for about $80.

Archived