Mislabeled AR-1 on eBay?

JeffS

Just a heads up in case any readers here are considering bidding on this eBay auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200652719495?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The seller lists the auction as "AR-1 Acoustic Research speaker serial No. 12792" The auction is for an AR-1 and an AR-1W. The pictures of the rear of the cabinets show that neither unit has a high frequency adjustment, nor does there look like there's a 755A behind either of the grills. The current price suggests that the bidders think they are getting an AR-1 in the deal, but it really looks like a pair of 1W's.

The photos and the Q&A show that this is a pair of AR-1W's in which AR apparently mislabeled one cabinet "AR-1" and the seller has just posted what the labels say.

The big question in my mind is how the seller could have listened to them for as long as he claims and thought they sounded good without noticing that there is no sound coming out of them above 1kHz.

Why do they have the usual 1-2-3 speaker terminals on the back when there is nothing but a woofer?

Hi there

The end buyer's going to get one heck of a surprise with only 2 - AR-1W's at the high bid price thus far.

There may be a bidder or two that only see the AR-1 label and feel that their getting a steal.

I believe that the jumper removed allows silence for those households with teenagers. LOL

The photos and the Q&A show that this is a pair of AR-1W's in which AR apparently mislabeled one cabinet "AR-1" and the seller has just posted what the labels say.

The big question in my mind is how the seller could have listened to them for as long as he claims and thought they sounded good without noticing that there is no sound coming out of them above 1kHz.

I wondered the same thing.

I looked back at data from an eBay auction in January where sn 13195 had an AR-1 label on an AR-1W. The pictures show that the speaker in this auction is actually sn 12972 which is a spread of 223 units from the unit sold in January. It makes me wonder if a new hire was doing labeling and how many 1W's got out the door as AR-1's before the mistake was caught.

Archived