SA Refoam Possible to Glue to Metal?

sideswiped

I'm replacing the foam surrounds on a pair of Smaller Advents. Unfortunately the cardboard on which the surrounds would usually glue to was removed(only half of it was in place, so I removed the rest). Can I glue the outer edge of the surrounds to the metal frame or is there a replacement for the cardboard I can make/order? They look like they would reach, but I'm worried about restricting the cone movement.

post-116222-0-53978700-1315583815_thumb.

Welcome,

You should duplicate the original cardboard spacers to maintain the correct relationship of cone, spider, and surround. You want the cone to be in the exact middle of its travel when it is at rest.

You could use the old spacers for templates, if there is enough left of them, and see if hardware or other stores have cardboard the same thickness as the originals.

You wouldn't even have to use cardboard necessarily. Just something the same thickness and rigid enough. Plastic or metal.

Good luck.

Doug

I'm replacing the foam surrounds on a pair of Smaller Advents. Unfortunately the cardboard on which the surrounds would usually glue to was removed(only half of it was in place, so I removed the rest). Can I glue the outer edge of the surrounds to the metal frame or is there a replacement for the cardboard I can make/order? They look like they would reach, but I'm worried about restricting the cone movement.

Hi there

I would suggest that if you can, use hardboard, depending on thickness required of course, I think that 1/4" and 5/16" is standard thickness.

Or layers of store type thin cardboard box layers glued and laminated together.

It will be easy to cut out the circle and outer ring in single pieces.

I've used this technique in an emergency water pump gasket.

the glue would hold the foam to the basket, but I'd be concerned with not having that spacer in there, so the woofer at rest is now sitting lower, restricting cone movement rearward...measure the original, find something the samethickness and make new spacers/gaskets

the glue would hold the foam to the basket, but I'd be concerned with not having that spacer in there, so the woofer at rest is now sitting lower, restricting cone movement rearward...measure the original, find something the samethickness and make new spacers/gaskets

Hi there

Good advice.

The shim/spacer can be plus or minus in thickness, close enough will do, without we know any other critical information.

Archived