Dynaco Questions

Ben Israel Thompson

I love records and good gear. Unfortunately, I don't really know much about great record players, speakers, or pre-amps/receivers. Of the little research I have done, Dynaco A-25's seem to be a solid choice for those on a budget (like me). Is this true? I don't want to spend a ton of money (ideally somewhere between $100-150) on speakers. I've heard that for playing vinyl, vintage speakers tend to sound better. Is this true? Any other (or better) recommendations for someone like me?

Also, I know it's off topic, but my record player is a fairly cheap one from the '70s. Is it a good idea to get one of the $30 phono pre-amps instead of a receiver? Like I said, I'm a total beginner when it comes to this stuff, but I'm definitely interested.

Thanks so much!

Ben Israel Thompson

Welcome Ben!

Well, this IS the classic speaker pages, so if you ask most people here they will say "yes", your records will sound best on classic New England speakers. And given your budget, YES!! the vintage speakers will sound MUCH MUCH better than anything you could buy new for a c-note.

Of course, there may be some issues. Many vintage speakers have foam woofer surrounds, and they deteriorate over time. You can replace them, if you are into DIY, for about $25 but it takes patience and a little skill.

Some classic speakers have cloth surrounds, so the foam is not an issue. Some newer ones, like Avids, have rubber surrounds. Also not an issue.

Sometimes the capacitors inside the speakers need to be replaced. Most of us here do it as a matter of course but in most cases it's not "really" necessary.

Dynaco speakers are excellent. I don't know about the woofer surrounds but someone here will.

Other good or great speakers in your price range are made by AR, KLH, and Advent. Really, just about any of the brands you see listed on the main page of these forums (Genesis, EPI, Boston Acoustics etc). Can't list all the possible model numbers, and prices vary wildly. Some members pick up great speakers at give-away prices at thrift stores and yard sales.

We have a for sale/wanted section here that may be a good place to look. Look to see if it's someone who has been a member for a while (they didn't just drop in to sell something) and read the description. For example, michiganpat has a pair of smaller Advents and he describes the work he's done to them. Those would be speakers you can buy and listen to. Toastedalmond has a pair of Dynaco A-50s for sale that he describes as having cosmetic flaws. I have personally bought 2 pair of speakers from him and he is an honest guy who sells at very fair prices and donates the proceeds to charity, but you would have to pick up in central NJ.

Ebay sometimes works out well, but it's sort of a crap shoot. Same goes for Craigs list and there are scammers there.

Sometimes you can get a bargain because people don't want really huge speakers. I paid less than $100 for a pair of KLH Model Twelves: 85 pounds each and very large, but beautiful sounding.

I doubt a $30 preamp will be great, but OTOH many modern receivers don't have a phono input. If you have a receiver with a phono input, it should be fine. Maybe you should tell us more about your turntable and cartridge. I'm "assuming" you have a magnetic cart. Ceramic cartridges are another matter.

Ask any questions--we're glad to help. If you buy speakers in need of work, folks here will offer advice. Or if you see some speakers and are unsure whether to buy, again ask here.

Good luck.

Kent

If you are looking for a new, modern receiver (a good idea) I've always been happy with Onkyo. A lot of bang for the buck. And they still include a phono section (just double check before you buy).

Many people like big powerful '70s receivers and those can be had pretty cheaply, but old electronics can have problems. Both Pete B and I just redid our Advent 300 receivers. They are only 15 WPC but have an exceptional phono section. Or go for power: 1970s Pioneer, Kenwood won't break the bank. Sherwood solid state stuff is inexpensive and very good. Sylvania receivers are under-appreciated and often a bargain. Marantz is popular. Just remember--you will probably need to have a competent tech check out any 30-year-old gear and you have to factor that in to the price.

Kent

Archived