AR serial numbers?

jag

I've poked around this extremely helpful website, but haven't found something that I think must be here. I have several sets of AR speakers, and am curious when they were made. This should be easy since they all were given sequential serial numbers, but I don't see a table showing manufacture dates to correlate with the serial numbers. If this page exists could someone point me to where it lives?

I also wonder about what date and serial number the AR 4x's were changed from paper to foam cone surrounds?

Thanks!

I've poked around this extremely helpful website, but haven't found something that I think must be here. I have several sets of AR speakers, and am curious when they were made. This should be easy since they all were given sequential serial numbers, but I don't see a table showing manufacture dates to correlate with the serial numbers. If this page exists could someone point me to where it lives?

I also wonder about what date and serial number the AR 4x's were changed from paper to foam cone surrounds?

Thanks!

I don't think a table of serial numbers has ever been posted, but I have some data collected by forum member Johnnio (John O'Hanlon) and myself. What models/serial numbers do you have?

The 4x woofer was changed from cloth to foam surround near the end of the AR-4x run, sometime after 300,000.

Roy

Well, OK, you asked for it. No making fun of the number of speaker I have though (luckily this is only the AR's) - well actually its OK to make fun of it if you tell me what years these were made (and don't tell my wife) :unsure:

AR-3 (walnut): 273XX (These are 1965 I think based on the document on the site about AR-3 changes)

AR-3a (cherry: 055XX

AR-4x (walnut): 567XX (or 767XX? can't read my writing)

AR-4x (stained pine): 1380XX

AR-4x (walnut): 1403XX

AR-4x (painted): 2129XX

AR-4x (walnut): 3260XX

The 4x's are in varying states of cabinet condition. I haven't even tested all of them yet, but it's promising that all but the last have cloth surrounds so at least the woofers should be working. The 3's are in nice shape (even better now that I'm touching up the finish with advice from the board); the 3a's are in beautiful shape.

You should definitely publish your results - it would be a great resource to include here and would probably bring in a large number of hits.

Well, OK, you asked for it. No making fun of the number of speaker I have though (luckily this is only the AR's) - well actually its OK to make fun of it if you tell me what years these were made (and don't tell my wife) :unsure:

AR-3 (walnut): 273XX (These are 1965 I think based on the document on the site about AR-3 changes)

AR-3a (cherry: 055XX

AR-4x (walnut): 567XX (or 767XX? can't read my writing)

AR-4x (stained pine): 1380XX

AR-4x (walnut): 1403XX

AR-4x (painted): 2129XX

AR-4x (walnut): 3260XX

I'm certainly in no position to make fun of you!:rolleyes: You will fit in quite well around here.

OK, here we go...

AR-3a (cherry): 055XX :Late 1967, first year of production

AR-4x (walnut): 567XX (or 767XX) :late 1966

AR-4x (stained pine): 1380XX :late 1967

AR-4x (walnut): 1403XX :late 1967 or very early 1968

AR-4x (painted): 2129XX :late 1968

AR-4x (walnut): 3260XX :mid to late 1970

The drivers are often stamped with date of manufacture.

My notes seem to indicate that 4x woofers with foam surrounds did not show up until around serial# 400,000.

Roy

I have a pair of 3as. Only one of them still has the serial number sheet stuck on the back. It is 29957. The woofer inside it has a stamp reading "AUG 19 1969". The cabinet that is missing the serial number sheet has a woofer stamped "JUL 25 1969".

So, in proper format:

AR-3a (Walnut): 29957 :August 1969

AR-3a (Walnut): xxxxx :July 1969

I have a pair of 3as. Only one of them still has the serial number sheet stuck on the back. It is 29957. The woofer inside it has a stamp reading "AUG 19 1969". The cabinet that is missing the serial number sheet has a woofer stamped "JUL 25 1969".

So, in proper format:

AR-3a (Walnut): 29957 :August 1969

AR-3a (Walnut): xxxxx :July 1969

Hi there

You just may have started something new here.

Can you briefly mention the woofer type, cloth or foam surround, for both.

The woofer without the serial number, but with that date, would be listed first and would likely be serial number 298xx or 299xx.

This would depend on production quantities per month.

Thank you for posting this information.

Hi there

You just may have started something new here.

Can you briefly mention the woofer type, cloth or foam surround, for both.

The woofer without the serial number, but with that date, would be listed first and would likely be serial number 298xx or 299xx.

This would depend on production quantities per month.

Thank you for posting this information.

The woofer does have the cloth surround, and is the type with the thick ring in the middle of the cone. You know what I mean. Both woofers are identical, and all the drivers are original.

I had ro do very little, actually. Just caps, pots, and reseal the cloth and dust caps. Cosmetically, they were perfect.

The woofer does have the cloth surround, and is the type with the thick ring in the middle of the cone. You know what I mean. Both woofers are identical, and all the drivers are original.

I had ro do very little, actually. Just caps, pots, and reseal the cloth and dust caps. Cosmetically, they were perfect.

Hi there

I was really enjoying the slideshow presentation, until I went to try to save a few of the photos.

It came back with a, "All rights reserved", message.

This is a users supported site.

Can you please post the individual photos here and delete the, "All rights reserved", so that we all can save one or more for our own personal enjoyment?

Hi there

I was really enjoying the slideshow presentation, until I went to try to save a few of the photos.

It came back with a, "All rights reserved", message.

This is a users supported site.

Can you please post the individual photos here and delete the, "All rights reserved", so that we all can save one or more for our own personal enjoyment?

I didn't mean to post a slide show with my message. That is simply what happened when I pasted a url into my message. The url was to a Flickr gallery containing photos I took before, during, and after my AR-3a restoration. I have no objection to my fellow CSP members saving my photos to their computers for their own private viewing, but I cannot remove the "all rights reserved" designation. (This is for many reasons, not limited to eBay users lifting my photos to insert in their own auction listings.) Since you object to "all rights reserved" photos being posted here, I humbly remove my link.

I hope all my fellow American AR fans enjoyed their Independence Day holiday.

Vern and Dana,

Copyright is only an issue for publication or other redistribution. It doesn't affect anyone who just wants to save an image strictly for personal use, and Flickr will certainly not object to the posting of links that direct traffic to their site.

Vern and Dana,

Copyright is only an issue for publication or other redistribution. It doesn't affect anyone who just wants to save an image strictly for personal use, and Flickr will certainly not object to the posting of links that direct traffic to their site.

Hi Dana and Gene

When I went to save or copy a photo from that link to my computer, that message came up and no ability to download or save or print that screen.

Just the copyright notice.

I've noticed that after the many years of my ebuying, downloading has listings blocked there as well now.

I do appreciate that if one is posting an idea here that is being persued for patent or copyright then it is valid.

To take a photo of an item that is 30+ years old, that is in the public domain is curious to me.

Archived