Updates to The Classic Speaker Pages

administrator

This topic is "pinned", meaning it will remain the first post in this forum regardless of how you sort messages.

I have been spending way too much time on registration problems such as people forgetting their passwords right after typing them in, making spelling mistakes, etc. So, today I made a major change in the new user registration process.

New user accounts are now automatically validated. To enable this in a somewhat secure fashion, the system will email a new user a password to login so the email address MUST BE LEGITIMATE. This serves two functions:

1.) Verifies that the email address each new user enters is a good one.

2.) Frees me up to no longer worry about registration problems and I can focus my free time on adding content.

Hope that makes sense. ;)

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I have just completed (and passed!) a somewhat demanding certification process in my field that I've been working on sporadically for over three months. Now that I should have some time when I get home in the evenings, updates will again be appearing.

First .. I have made changes to my DNS so that within 72 hours "www.arsenal.net" will resolve to the new webserver which some of you are already using. I will also begin receiving email on this new machine. I will be cancelling my account with my prior web hosting provider.

Second .. I would appreciate it if a few of you could try the topic and forum subscription options of this discussion software. Please post back to this thread with the results, e.g. it works, doesn't work, don't know, etc.

Thanks,

Mark

>Second .. I would appreciate it if a few of you could try the topic and forum subscription options of this discussion software. Please post back to this thread with the results, e.g. it works, doesn't work, don't know, etc.<

I set up subscriptions to “The Classic Speaker Pages – News!” , “Acoustic Research”, and “For sale / Wanted” forums a few weeks ago. I’ve been receiving the Forum Subscription Notice e-Mails every day. Looking at a series of these e-Mails, the notices are sent once a day in the early AM and contain a listing of all new postings since the last notice went out. I receive one e-Mail a day with the information on all forums subscribed to. So, for me, the subscription service “works.” Here is a randomly selected sample of one update notice in one message:

AR-4x

Posted by ninohernes on Mar-29-03 06:54 AM

http://168.143.114.212/dc/dcboard.php?az=s...39&mesg_id=2339

My e-mail (AOL) doesn’t present the bottom line of text as a hyperlink. Other’s might. If necessary, I could cut and paste it to my browser address window and go right to the posting.

I subscribed to a topic yesterday in the AR forum – AR3a Woofer Dustcaps. I received an e-mail notice within 2 ½ hours of each new posting. Again, “works for me.”

I want to comment about the subscription service. This is in no way a criticism of the service, I am merely making observations, based on my experience with the subscriptions so far. For an occasional visitor to these forums, getting notices once a day is probably sufficient. You can quickly scan the notices and decide if anything interests you enough to go read it.

For the frequent/daily visitor, like me, who learn so much from reading the postings, you will probably have seen and read most all the recent postings before the forum subscription notice gets to you. If you are expecting an “instant” e-Mail notification at every new posting to a forum, this service doesn’t provide that. Because I am a frequent visitor, for me at least, that type of subscription service isn’t even necessary.

If you want more frequent notifications of new postings, you must subscribe to the individual topics you are actively involved with or interested in.

I’m keeping the forum subscriptions as I have them and will subscribe to topics I want to keep a closer eye on.

Rich Laski

Rich:

I really appreciate your help with this .. that was very comprehensive and you offered excellent commentary.

For anyone having trouble with the subscriptions, I would suspect the issue is your email address registered with the system. I can check this if you contact me directly.

Bret, if you are still not receiving anything, I can kill your account and have you re-create it.

Mark

>Bret, if you are still not receiving anything, I can kill your account and have you re-create it.<

Mark, I responded to your posting. I said, "kill the account" although more verbosely.

My reply isn't here.

Did you do something to require cookies from a 3rd party? How many do we need (I want to allow them while blocking everything else)?

BTW - my newly established account is sending notifications. Thank you.

Bret

>I haven't changed any settings that have to do with cookies. AFAIK, there shouldn't be any third party stuff required.<

Interesting. I used to breeze right through but now can't post with ZoneAlarm running and I've added every IP address I thought possible to the "Trusted Zone" and enabled all but third party cookies. Hmmmm.

On the other hand, it might not be ZoneAlarm at all since I noticed there have been a few updates to IE lately. On the third hand I get in no prob with ZoneAlarm off.

If I figure it out, I'll let you know. Don't let it worry you.

Bret

There have been a few threads that really didn't belong under the "speaker" heading. Suppose there would be any point to putting in a non-speaker misc catch-all heading?

Bret

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe .. it seems people tend to throw things in the AR forum though, regardless of whether the post is truly AR related. I understand why, since it is by far the most active forum.

I don't have enough time to really police the topics, I rely on everyone to post in the correct area.

What are your ideas? Maybe a forum for electronics and one for all other topics?

Mark

>What are your ideas? Maybe a forum for electronics and one for all other topics?<

I wasn't even that sophisticated in my thinking - I was thinking something like "non-speaker audio" or something equally generic.

Mark, I'm not bugged at all by posts off-topic, but I know that some people get irritated with it. I think Alice Cooper covered it with a tune about "It's the Little Things." It conveys something like; you can try to kill me, or talk bad about my mother or burn down my house and I can handle it, but talk during the movie and I'm liable to kill you.

The one that gripes me is thread-drift, but that's okay. I drift-off a lot myself.

Bret

• 7 months later...

The entire website is going through a major update today, so you will notice things are slow until early evening.

I have corrected all of the broken links that have been reported to me in email, and have found a few that were not reported but I caught this morning.

Thanks for all the great feedback,

Mark

Archived