KLH 22

Frank I

Don't have first-hand experience with the 22, but according to our Library they are essentially 4 ohm versions of the 17s. So that would make them identical to the Model 20, except the 20 had RCA connectors. I have owned both the 17 and the 20, and they are excellent speakers. 2-way, with big 10" woofers and attractive real walnut veneer. Ask if the caps were replaced. That era KLH was notorious for bad caps. If so, and they are in good cosmetic shape, those should be terrific speakers for a bargain price. Make sure your amp can handle the 4 ohm load. (edit: This information is incorrect. See post #6. Sorry)

AFAIK, the Diamond 9 is a Wharfedale speaker (not M-S). Well regarded but I have not heard them. Looks like they are often compared with the Mordaunt-Short 902i as a good budget speaker. Suggest you read reviews etc. Both the Wharfedale and the M-S (new) will cost more than the KLH (about 40 years old). They will certainly sound "different" from the KLH. Which is best? That's pretty subjective, but this IS the KLH forum so you know our bias.

Kent

• 8 months later...

I sometimes get confused by all of KLH's model numbers for similar speakers, but the 22s I've seen are smaller than the 17s and 20s, and are very similar to the 24s, which are smaller still than Dynaco A-25s. Here's a review I wrote of the KLH 22s I found at an eBay seller's shop. I used one on my office, driven only by a KLH 21 radio, and it sounded great!

http://www.epinions.com/review/KLH_Model_22_Speaker_epi/content_517249601156

I don't think I've opened up the 22s, but I now don't see any reason that they should be less bright than the 24s, as I suggest in the review. My hunch is that some of the 24s I'd heard had drifting capacitors, or some such, making them sound a tad bright. I've had similar experiences with some 17s.

• 2 months later...

I sometimes get confused by all of KLH's model numbers for similar speakers, but the 22s I've seen are smaller than the 17s and 20s, and are very similar to the 24s, which are smaller still than Dynaco A-25s. Here's a review I wrote of the KLH 22s I found at an eBay seller's shop. I used one on my office, driven only by a KLH 21 radio, and it sounded great!

Yes, the Twenty-Twos are actually the same speaker as the Twenty-Fours. What happened was KLH put together a compact stereo, like a "baby" Model Twenty and designated it as the Model Twenty-Four. The speaker they chose was the Model Twenty-Two but they re-designated those that were included in the compact system, I suppose for consistency's sake.

Now, later the speaker was changed slightly in that the binding posts were replaced by RCA jacks. Again, this was for the sake of consistency since the compact stereos all had those. The Model Twenty-Fours with RCA jacks were called the Model Twenty-Four, Series II.

John

• 9 months later...

Don't have first-hand experience with the 22, but according to our Library they are essentially 4 ohm versions of the 17s.. Kent

I picked up a pair of 22s today at a thrift store for $10. Wood finish needs TLC but not too bad. One tweeter cone is bit wrinkled but intact. From eye hooks on back, looks like they were wall or ceiling hung. Kent, the back plate says 8 ohms. Were there different series 22s? If these check out after recapping , I might try them as B speakers with the Model 20s I discussed elsewhere here. Any issues in pairing 8 ohm B speakers with 4 Ohm A speakers? If that's a problem, i can use them in my home office or bedroom separately.

David

Apparently the document in the Library was incorrect (so I passed along incorrect information). Sorry. It is an 8 ohm system with an 8" woofer. A bit smaller than the 17 and maybe similar to the 24.

As I said, I have never seen a pair of 22s. But I did find the attached ad.

Kent

post-101828-0-27242300-1358750476_thumb.

Apparently the document in the Library was incorrect (so I passed along incorrect information). Sorry. It is an 8 ohm system with an 8" woofer. A bit smaller than the 17 and maybe similar to the 24.

As I said, I have never seen a pair of 22s. But I did find the attached ad.

Kent

Hi, Kent -

The Twenty-Two and Twenty-Four aren't merely similar, They're identical. I've had a pair of each and the only difference was that the earlier Twenty-Twos had a solid walnut face frame, while the Twenty-Fours just had a veneered edge. This could have been a change for cost-savings or just a case of 2 different cabinetmakers.

As near as I can determine, then, the Twenty-Four was simply a Twenty-Two renamed for inclusion in the Model Twenty-Four compact stereo.. There was a later change on the Twenty-Four. KLH went from binding posts to RCAs on what they designated the Model Twenty-Four, Series II. In all other respects the speaker was the same as the earlier version. All three types were 8 ohm and all had that great looking tweed grille cloth like the piece I sent you all those years ago. The info in the library almost certainly is referring to the Seventeen vs. the Twenty.

John

As near as I can determine, then, the Twenty-Four was simply a Twenty-Two renamed for inclusion in the Model Twenty-Four compact stereo.. There was a later change on the Twenty-Four. KLH went from binding posts to RCAs on what they designated the Model Twenty-Four, Series II. In all other respects the speaker was the same as the earlier version. All three types were 8 ohm and all had that great looking tweed grille cloth like the piece I sent you all those years ago.

Hi John

Yes--I remember and thanks for the cloth. I had a Model Twenty-Four 3-piece system for a while and the speakers were 24/II with RCA jacks as you describe.

Kent

post-101828-0-65166100-1358785304_thumb.

post-101828-0-41308300-1358785382_thumb.

I hooked up the 22s and even without recapping, they sounded good. There was the expected loss of bass compared with the 20s but still very clear and pleasant. Think I will use these in my bedroom.

I've attached pictures of the 22 sitting on a model 20, close-up, back, and thee dimpled cone of one speaker. On first listening I did not detect any difference from the damage. post-123744-0-44758500-1358785229_thumb.post-123744-0-01389600-1358785301_thumb.post-123744-0-24788400-1358785359_thumb.post-123744-0-86952300-1358785494_thumb.

Sorry for double post. Can't see how to delete so Kent, please feel free to delete second. Thanks.

David

I hooked up the 22s and even without recapping, they sounded good. There was the expected loss of bass compared with the 20s but still very clear and pleasant. Think I will use these in my bedroom.

I've attached pictures of the 22 sitting on a model 20, close-up, back, and thee dimpled cone of one speaker. On first listening I did not detect any difference from the damage. post-123744-0-44758500-1358785229_thumb.post-123744-0-01389600-1358785301_thumb.post-123744-0-24788400-1358785359_thumb.post-123744-0-86952300-1358785494_thumb.

Hi David

The dimpled tweeter dome is not a problem but there is a fix: Dampen the cone with water then use a vacuum cleaner hose to suck it out. When it dries, you can leave it as is or paint the cap with a dilute solution of white Elmer's glue.

Kent

Archived