LARGE ADVENT BINDING POSTS +- ?

DON

I have my first pair of Advent speakers and when hooking up the wires I couldn't determine which is + or -. If I hook them up the same way does it matter? Second when stacking these speakers how should the wires be connected? Third how do I remove the grille? Does the rubber/plastic strip around the grill come out separately from the grille? Thanks Kent :) :)

I have my first pair of Advent speakers and when hooking up the wires I couldn't determine which is + or -. If I hook them up the same way does it matter? Second when stacking these speakers how should the wires be connected? Third how do I remove the grille? Does the rubber/plastic strip around the grill come out separately from the grille? Thanks Kent :) :)

Hi there

As long as you connect everything up the same, you will be ok.

If you connect up the speaker wires differently, for example, you will have them out of phase, or reverse driver movement.

This cancels some music out if different.

Most all wire pairs have a ribbing running on one side or thread tracer inside it's insulation or totally two different colours.

Connect up the wires at the amp the same and speakers the same way and you will be ok.

Only if you are using a center channel or multiple speakers do you really need to be more conscientious with the wiring.

The grille is inside the plastic border, attempting to remove the plastic trim instead, will damage it and the walnut edging.

Slide a slim putty knife between the grille cloth and the plastic trim at one of the corners and leverage ihe grille out.

The grilles are held on by Velcro hook and pile strips.

Check out the CSP library, Advent section, service topic and there is several pieces of information which are useful for servicing the Advents.

At least one has a schetch of the velcro locations if you are not sure where they are fastened to the cabinet.

There is also fusing information and proper installation procedures for replacing the tweeter and orienting the raised versions.

Great value in sound and budget.

Thanks for your replies. I thought I'd be ok if they were both connected the same way. These are the first speakers I've owned that weren't marked.............just a 0 on one side and 8 ohm on the other. I had to move a pair of ADS 810s off the stands and put the Advents on the stands so by the time I had one connected I quit and went looking for the ibuprofen. I'll get the other one connected tomorrow. I'll be stacking two pair sometime next week........or at least I'll get one set stacked. I'm gettin too old for this. I need to stick to my little B&W 805 Nautilus

DAN thanks for the warning about trying to remove the grilles. I might have damaged one if you had not told me the correct way.

The implication is that "8" is positive and "0" is negative.

This is borne out with the battery test.

Doug

Thats the way I hooked them up. I have another pair that have new posts that accept banana plugs and they are color coded. Thanks to all.

Archived