ADS FORUM NOOBIE

DON

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum but not new to ADS speakers. In 1977 My wife and I were in an audio store buying a cartridge for my Dual 1229 Turntable when I heard this incredibly clear sound coming from another room. Although I had a pair of very nice AR2ax speakers I had to see where this sound was coming from and I went into the room where they were playing and saw a pair of speakers smaller than my ARs. This was my introduction to the L710 speaker. A few months later I found a used pair for sale by a college student who was selling the 710s to get the money to buy some BOSE 901s. I played these speakers daily till 2000 when the foam surrounds fell out. I didn't know they could be repaired easily and gave them to a friend. I finally bought another pair on e-bay last year. Now I have 810s, 880s, and 570s. I'm 73yrs. old and these speakers have gotten much heavier over the last several years and it's harder to move them in and out of my set up. I have managed to listen to all of them using different amplifiers and I've decided that they sound the best with my Adcom 555ll 200 watt amplifier. My original 710s had cloth grilles but they all have metal grilles now which provide more protection for the drivers but they are easily dented and the dents are difficult to remove.

I'm looking forward to reading all the discussions on ADS speakers. Have any of you redone the crossovers in your ADS speakers? I would like to hear of your experiences with reworking your speakers crossovers. Thank you. Finally a forum on ADS! :D :D

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum but not new to ADS speakers. In 1977 My wife and I were in an audio store buying a cartridge for my Dual 1229 Turntable when I heard this incredibly clear sound coming from another room. Although I had a pair of very nice AR2ax speakers I had to see where this sound was coming from and I went into the room where they were playing and saw a pair of speakers smaller than my ARs. This was my introduction to the L710 speaker. A few months later I found a used pair for sale by a college student who was selling the 710s to get the money to buy some BOSE 901s. I played these speakers daily till 2000 when the foam surrounds fell out. I didn't know they could be repaired easily and gave them to a friend. I finally bought another pair on e-bay last year. Now I have 810s, 880s, and 570s. I'm 73yrs. old and these speakers have gotten much heavier over the last several years and it's harder to move them in and out of my set up. I have managed to listen to all of them using different amplifiers and I've decided that they sound the best with my Adcom 555ll 200 watt amplifier. My original 710s had cloth grilles but they all have metal grilles now which provide more protection for the drivers but they are easily dented and the dents are difficult to remove.

I'm looking forward to reading all the discussions on ADS speakers. Have any of you redone the crossovers in your ADS speakers? I would like to hear of your experiences with reworking your speakers crossovers. Thank you. Finally a forum on ADS! :D :D

Sorry to see such little traffic on the ADS forum. :(

• 1 month later...

To my knowledge ADS never used foam surrounds. That's one of the things that's so great about them. The other is the high quality caps that seem to last forever. Most of the time a fuse or two will get a malfunctioning pair up and running.

• 4 weeks later...

To my knowledge ADS never used foam surrounds. That's one of the things that's so great about them. The other is the high quality caps that seem to last forever. Most of the time a fuse or two will get a malfunctioning pair up and running.

Very late reply :P The first pair of ADS L 710s I bought used in the early 80s had foam surrounds and cloth grille covers. I knew absolutely nothing about speakers then except how they sounded and when the foam rotted out I gave them to a local DJ. :angry: :angry:

• 7 years later...

Archived