AR-2ax control knobs?

Ronald LaPorte

Hi to everyone from a 70 year old newbie. I have a pair of Dynaco A25s which I bought and have owned since purchased in the vintage era. I recently obtained a nice pair of AR-2ax speakers which I have restored to very nice condition. My question is "Did the AR-2ax speakers have knobs on the pot shafts when new?" The Dynaco speakers had them though they ofter seem to get lost over the years as the badges often do. Thanks for your help. I've already learned a lot on this site. I appreciate the work of the many knowledgable people who contribute to this forum.

Ron

As with most AR speakers of that era, evolutionary changes were made. Some had black plastic knobs and others may have had thin, red plastic shafts that were the stem of the rheostat and thus, no knob.

I have some of those black knobs. PM me if interested.

Hi to everyone from a 70 year old newbie. I have a pair of Dynaco A25s which I bought and have owned since purchased in the vintage era. I recently obtained a nice pair of AR-2ax speakers which I have restored to very nice condition. My question is "Did the AR-2ax speakers have knobs on the pot shafts when new?" The Dynaco speakers had them though they ofter seem to get lost over the years as the badges often do. Thanks for your help. I've already learned a lot on this site. I appreciate the work of the many knowledgable people who contribute to this forum.

Ron

Hi Ron,

The AR-2ax never had knobs. The AR-5 and AR-3a did. It is one of the few AR items that can still be purchased new. I have extras (new and original) as well.

The knobs fit over the level control shafts...which were made of red or black plastic and, later, metal.

Roy

post-101150-0-67421700-1295637492_thumb.

My 1975 2ax's came with knobs.

Hi Gene,

Were these purchased new? If so, it would have been a later addition near the end of the 2ax run. I have had a bunch of AR-2ax's through here without knobs, and I have never seen them in any Ebay or Craigslist listing. I know Larry of Vintage AR sells many new knobs to AR-4x and 2ax owners.

Roy

PS ...just spoke to Larry. He doesn't recall seeing knobs on 2ax's either, so it is, apparently, not too common.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ACOUSTIC-RESEARCH-AR-3a-SPEAKER-CONTROL-KNOBS-/160534036994?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item2560930202

Yes, they were bought new by me in the summer of 1975 (my graduation gift to myself). I think these were probably from the very last production run, with back-wired tweeters, no sign of old baffle openings that had been plugged, evenly sprayed black baffle panels and that odd linen that was natural with brown fibers mixed in.

Maybe they just decided to use up the last of their stock of knobs, since the first of the ADDs were already being delivered at the time and the 3a and 5 were also at the end of their lifecycles.

Archived