AR-LST

HelgiJ

Greetings to you all.

Last week I got a pair of AR-LST in a very good original condition (also custom build stands) from my grandparents.

I myself won´t be using them because I using a SET amp and it hasn´t got the muscles to drive the LST.

Therefore I´m thinking about selling those LST.

Since i´m living in Iceland I´m having a bit of a problem. There is no market for those beautiful speaker here .

Do you have advice for me what is the best thing to do, how much they are worth and ect.

Best

Helgi

To the right person, these speakers are worth a fortune. There is a rather healthy demand for AR LST speakers on eBay.

Greetings to you all.

Last week I got a pair of AR-LST in a very good original condition (also custom build stands) from my grandparents.

I myself won´t be using them because I using a SET amp and it hasn´t got the muscles to drive the LST.

Therefore I´m thinking about selling those LST.

Since i´m living in Iceland I´m having a bit of a problem. There is no market for those beautiful speaker here .

Do you have advice for me what is the best thing to do, how much they are worth and ect.

Best

Helgi

Thanks to you all for the replys and advice.

@ar_pro, I´m using Audio Note speakers, AN-E Sep HE.

I heard them at my grandparents house but but long time ago though. Those speakers haven´t been used for about 10 years.

I haven´t got a clue how much it would cost to ship the LST´s from Iceland. Probably quite a sum.....

I´m not in a hurry to sell.

One question, I read somwhere that the foams often need to be replaced . If that´s the case is that something I should (or let sombody do) do?

Or should I sell them in original condition?

"...Or should I sell them in original condition?"

I would suggest leave them alone as original as possible. The person who is willing to pay high price always want the speakers untouched as long as you can check for him if all the drivers are working.

Minh Luong

Thanks to you all for the replys and advice.

@ar_pro, I´m using Audio Note speakers, AN-E Sep HE.

I heard them at my grandparents house but but long time ago though. Those speakers haven´t been used for about 10 years.

I haven´t got a clue how much it would cost to ship the LST´s from Iceland. Probably quite a sum.....

I´m not in a hurry to sell.

One question, I read somwhere that the foams often need to be replaced . If that´s the case is that something I should (or let sombody do) do?

Or should I sell them in original condition?

This speaker still commands considerable interest among collectors. They should get about $1000 US for the pair on e-bay if the cabinets are in good condition.

If you read articles and postings on this web site, you will understand the challenges that face anyone who wants to restore these speakers. Read the article on restoring AR3a. LST is an AR3a with four midrange drivers and four tweeters instead of one each. Frequently foam in the tweeters has deteriorated. If the surrounds on the woofers have not been replaced this will need to be done by whoever will use them. If the speakers are not air tight, driving them can damage the woofers badly increasing the cost of repair enormously. The capacitors will have to be replaced too. There are no potentiometers to worry about in LST. All of this should be done by the new owner, the speakers should be sold as is with no return. In the US it would cost about $100 each to ship them. Internationally it might cost three times that much. Still there are probably collectors who will bid on them.

BTW, there are no satisfactory substitutes for the tweeters. There is no comparable contemporary design or replacement except for another of the same type that has been removed from another unit.

"They should get about $1000 US for the pair on e-bay if the cabinets are in good condition. "

Never seen LSTs go for that cheap on Ebay recently - they were going for over that in the mid '00s. Last set I saw on Ebay (a few months ago) went for 2k+.

Heck, they are even selling the LST fuses on Ebay for insane prices - I saw some recently for a buy it now of nearly 22 bucks ! (you can buy them an electronic suppliers for 8 bucks)

Archived