Two versions of KLH 17

oiseaux

I've recently acquired two pairs of KLH model Seventeens from two different sources and was surprised to find a large difference between the tweeters. Can anyone shed a little light on the difference and / or reasons?

The one with the aluminum cover panel is serial # 156-537.

The one with the chicken wire & cotton is serial # BS-1705-914.

There is a difference in the sound.

Thanks in advance for your info/input.

post-105905-0-17026600-1292954708_thumb.

post-105905-0-15858700-1292954731_thumb.

OK, so the tweets with the chicken wire and serials that begin with BS are counterfeits if I understand all that I have read. Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers!

Gee, I didn't get that but maybe I only skimmed the thread. I thought the little tweets were just a later version.

Kent

? Well, what did I get wrong, the first link you referenced to me had in it the following quote:

Begin quote===

This is from the KLH National Service Manager in the 70's

He knows his stuff. Were there counterfiets of KLH speakers

My speaker #'s are BS 1703810 and BS 1703757

"Those are definitely not a 30 Cross Street product.

All of our model numbers started with the Model and then the actual production number, like this...

17-xxxxx

There was no alpha characters preceding the Model number."

End quote===

The weird little tweet with the cotton blob held in by chickenwire had the serial number beginning with BS-, so I understood that they were the counterfeit speakers. The woofers aren't the same construction materials as other KLHs either.

The other comments that I read were stated as guesses or opinions, the only stated fact came from the above quote. Am I missing something?

• 2 weeks later...

Begin quote===

This is from the KLH National Service Manager in the 70's

He knows his stuff. Were there counterfiets of KLH speakers

My speaker #'s are BS 1703810 and BS 1703757

"Those are definitely not a 30 Cross Street product.

All of our model numbers started with the Model and then the actual production number, like this...

17-xxxxx

There was no alpha characters preceding the Model number."

End quote===

I think what the "KLH National Service Manager" is saying is simply that the variant you have wasn't made during KLH's initial period of production in Cambridge, not that they weren't made by some subsequent iteration of the company, maybe during the Singer or the Electro Audio Dynamics era.

In fact, there are three different versions. There are the two you have and a third which incorporates the same speakers and a plain vinyl clad cabinet.

The weird little tweet with the cotton blob held in by chickenwire had the serial number beginning with BS-, so I understood that they were the counterfeit speakers.

That tweeter arrangement was used by KLH on a few different KLH models. The Model Thirty-Two is one.

The woofers aren't the same construction materials as other KLHs either.

I think they're essentially the same. They're black but I think they're otherwise pretty similar.

John

I was the one who posted on AK. When I talked to Mark(klh) he didn't remember seeing that variant. He left KLH in the early 70's.

I believe the screen model was after he left. The are KLH Seventeen speakers. I'll be recapping my later this month. I'll post updates then.

OK, thanks folks. I appreciate the specific information on these KLH speakers. There is enough difference in sound between these two pairs of the series to raise doubts as to their origin. I will probably use these as either surrounds or for a workshop system.

Cheers from l'oiseaux!

Remember, only you can prevent polarity reversal.

Archived