A concise history of AR speakers

JKent

I recently sold the AR2ax speakers featured in the Library to Dan in Colorado. He emailed me with this site in Italy, showing the classic AR speakers and I was pleasantly surprised to see my (now Dan's) 2ax there. Poke around the site a bit for other classic audio gear:

http://digilander.libero.it/pasqua49/COLLE...0production.htm

Pasquale, the site's owner, offered to give me credit for the photo, which I declined, but I suggested that he include a link to CSP. Maybe we'll get some more European members.

btw--anyone know what the speaker is in the black & white photo near the bottom? It's a 3-way so not a 2x as marked.

And if you want to look at the AR-1 diagram in undistorted format, just copy it to your computer.

Kent

I recently sold the AR2ax speakers featured in the Library to Dan in Colorado. He emailed me with this site in Italy, showing the classic AR speakers and I was pleasantly surprised to see my (now Dan's) 2ax there. Poke around the site a bit for other classic audio gear:

http://digilander.libero.it/pasqua49/COLLE...0production.htm

Pasquale, the site's owner, offered to give me credit for the photo, which I declined, but I suggested that he include a link to CSP. Maybe we'll get some more European members.

btw--anyone know what the speaker is in the black & white photo near the bottom? It's a 3-way so not a 2x as marked.

And if you want to look at the AR-1 diagram in undistorted format, just copy it to your computer.

Kent

This is a pretty well done history: a few errors (he calls the 3a's tweeter 1" instead of 3/4" and cites the W-MR x-o at 450 instead of 575Hz, calls the 2 1'2" T a 2" in one pic, and no delineation of 'old' v 'new' 2x and 2ax), but pretty nicely done, overall. Good to see that a mostly-accurate history of AR is now available in Italy for European users.

That B&W photo, is, I believe, an engineering prototype of the 5 with 'placeholder' (non-functional) MR and T units. The cab is being buried in the ground, flush with the front panel, to measure its bass FR in a true 2-pi environment. Early eng protos of the 5 had their MR and T side-by-side, a la the 2ax. (The 1968 lit that shows the soon-to-be-released 5 has side-by-side drivers.)

Production 5's had their MR and T staggered like the 3a.

Steve F.

Archived