Original screws for AR2ax woofer

Seabert

I would like to know what screws I should use to install a 10” woofer with cloth surround and six holes in an old AR2ax speaker. The AR3 restoration guide says the following:

“…The AR3 speaker requires eight ¼-20 Phillips pan head machine screws matted to respective T-nuts…”

Should I assume that the same screws would work on the Ar2ax? Also, I can only imagine what would happen if one of the T-nuts got lose with the screw still on place…Is this something I should worry about?

Thanks

I added a few pictures of my project. I got the new woofer today but I am still waiting for the new caps. I can hardly wait to put it all together. I decided to do one speakers at a time. Anyhow...I may go to the hardware store with the speaker to see what screws fit the holes.

post-105565-1280804081.jpg

post-105565-1280804132.jpg

post-105565-1280804176.jpg

post-105565-1280804197.jpg

Hi Seabert and welcome to CSP.

I just pulled a screw from my 2ax. There are SIX #10-24 x 3/4" machine screws per speaker.

You can use pan head, round head or fillister. Drive can be Phillips, slotted or even hex (Allen) or square.

The T-nuts should be fine. If any seem loose you can apply a small amount of epoxy, being careful not to get it on the threads. If any of the holes in the particleboard baffle are too crumbled to repair, you could try Zilch's trick of gluing a small thin piece of plywood behind the hole, putting the T-nut in that and using longer machine screws.

Kent

Hi Seabert and welcome to CSP.

I just pulled a screw from my 2ax. There are SIX #10-24 x 3/4" machine screws per speaker.

You can use pan head, round head or fillister. Drive can be Phillips, slotted or even hex (Allen) or square.

The T-nuts should be fine. If any seem loose you can apply a small amount of epoxy, being careful not to get it on the threads. If any of the holes in the particleboard baffle are too crumbled to repair, you could try Zilch's trick of gluing a small thin piece of plywood behind the hole, putting the T-nut in that and using longer machine screws.

Kent

Kent,

Thanks so much for doing that!!! It is very helpful. I will be going to the store sometime soon to get the screws. Before I read your reply I pulled one of the screws from the mid driver and it fitted the T-nuts well so I was going to used that as a reference. However, I was still not sure about the length. Unfortunately, one of the T-nuts is missing so I will have to replace that as well. I hope they have them at home depo since it is the only store that is open after my baby goes to bed. I can hardly wait to hear the speakers after I am done with the restoration process.

Berto

Archived